Mexican Pot

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Cox

Mexican Pot

Post by Bob Cox »

I know they ship alot of mexican pot,but the mexican pots for volume controls only last about as long as a bag a pot.Allen Bradley rave on!!
Rusty Hurse

Post by Rusty Hurse »

Well I said I was not going to post for awhile but I just could not resist this one.Now I know what that familiar smell was coming from my VOLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! pedal the other nite.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I suspect that some pots are being sold for foot-pedal use that don't have the "hot molded" resistance element that's required by mil-specs (JA1N-type). The mil-spec pots are rated at 2 watts, and a life of at least 250,000 cycles. If you're not using a good pot (i.e., a mil-spec version) it probably won't last very long. The old A-B and Clarostat pots used to last me several years (and that was playing 7 days a week). I've never used a "Taco-Bell" version, but if it's built to mil-specs, it still oughta last a good while. I can think of three reasons why it might not, though...

1.) "Pumping" (excessive and unnecessary use)
2.) "Three-wire hookups" (which might put higher loads on the pot)
3.) Different (dry?) lubricants used now

I would suggest that anyone installing a pot get a good (silicone) control lubricant, and remove (or loosen) the back of the pot, and lube it before using it. Remember also to lube the bushing where the shaft goes into it.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Where is Smiley with a comment on this post??

I was sure he had already been on this one!

Most know what I mean....

Tim
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

Shouldn't this be in the buy and sell? Image
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Rusty,

If you have a peculiar smell coming from your volume pedal and you have a Mexican pot in it, chances are it's either (mil-spec) Michoacan or (mil-spec) Oaxacan Image

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn