PT editing question

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Wolverton

PT editing question

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I have a basic ProTools 10 question. Often I copy a lick from one track to a new track. I do it with copy and paste. However, the pasted-in chunk of audio will not be perfectly lined up in the time domain with the original audio. I have to go in and nudge it back and forth until the sine waves line up and they sound close (no delay). Is there a way to do the copy and paste where the audio chunk’s location in time is not changed?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Scott Malchow

Post by Scott Malchow »

Tom,

This is how I would do it on a Mac- On a PC rig, the modifier keys may be different, but the software should function in the same manner.
After separating your selected audio lick as it's own region (cmd-E), simply hold the Control key as you drag it to it's destination track with the grabber tool. (If you also hold the option key, it drags a copy of the region to a new track- leaving your original region intact..)
Holding the control key while doing a region drag to another track constrains the right or left movement of the region-
preventing the 'time shift' of an inaccurate drag.

If your audio gets out of sync with a region drag, you can also use 'Spot' mode to restore your region to it's original time code address.
Scott
Last edited by Scott Malchow on 12 Nov 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.
~ Eric Hoffer, philosopher and author 1902-1983
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Thanks Scott, I'll try that.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

If you have the "abc focus" turned on in your edit window, you can just highlight any section of audio, hit "C" to copy or "X" to cut, then hit either "P" to move up one track or ";" to move down one track. Hit "V" to paste, and your audio will be on the new track with the exact same timestamp as the original track.

Try it and let me know if that did what you wanted.