Austin City Limits

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Harold Dye

Austin City Limits

Post by Harold Dye »

I watched Austin City Limits last nite for the first time in a long while. EmmyLou Harris and Rodney Crowell were the guests. Good show. I think it said Steve Fishell was doing the honors on steel. He got several camera shots.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

interesting that emmylou only gets a bland 'good show' response now. remember when the first hot band came on stage and james and hank wowed everyone with their twin hot licks. the response was more, 'holy sh*t'! it used to be exciting.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Good, solid country entertainment. I'm at the point where I feel like I can only depend on icons like these for the real deal. ACL's lineup in recent years has become so "diversified" that I rarely watch anymore. :\

I have never seen Fish, but he is in the credits. Might this be him?
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

I agree Barry, I have not watched ACL in quite a long time. I have tuned in from time to time but have not watched. The shot is of the steeler. He got lots of camera time. I have never seen him and I waited for the credits to run and when they did I almost missed his name.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

steve...you're starting to look a little like robert crumb!
Mike Kowalik

Acl....

Post by Mike Kowalik »

That's him....great tone playing thru a Fender Twin.....check out his Zumsteel with Emmons tulip style tuners.....wonder what the story is behind that?

This was the best show ACL has presented in years!!!!!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

in the early 80's zums came with the butterfly klusons. bruce said he felt they enhanced the tone.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I caught the last 3 minutes of the show. Does anyone know if it"ll be repeated? I don't have a schedule.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Steve is playing a 1982 Zum in the picture. That very guitar can be seen in the video "Every Step Of The Way" by McBride & The Ride, which came out in 1990.
Barry Blackwood

Does anyone know if it"ll be repeated?
According to this, it will show again November 9th on PBS. Check your local listings for time(s)
http://acltv.com/wp-content/themes/aust ... edule.html
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Thought is was a great show. You can go to the Austin City Limits website and catch the full episode for awhile. Then they take the full episode off and show just a couple of songs.
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

I just got done watching it... I thought it was great...

Better than the Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear show...
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

What a great show that was. Steve really shined and what a band Emmy and Rodney assembled...this was truly the "Hot Band 2.0"...Byron House, Jerry Roe, Jed Hughes, Chris Tuttle...cannot get much better...Way to go Fish...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ok..i watched it. nice to see emmy and rodney play with a full band again. i don't feel the energy or excitement created by the early hot band, though. and the fashions displayed by the players takes it down another notch for me.
and this is from a died in the wool emmylou fan. i saw them originally at the great american music hall (i think) in san francisco with james burton playing through those two twin ten inch speaker music man amps. hung out at many concerts with my good late friend wayne goodwin when he and fish were in the band, and became a friend of albert lee since then. i dig the scene.
maybe i'm just too old to get excited anymore.
Barry Blackwood

Chris, all due respect, it was not the Hot Band. But it was warm enough. Especially that Jedd Hughes guy.. :eek: 8)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

god, i can't believe what a crotchity old fart i've become.
but i can still pick, i think....if i weren't about deaf at the moment.
Matt Elsen

Post by Matt Elsen »

i saw them originally at the great american music hall (i think) in san francisco with james burton playing through those two twin ten inch speaker music man amps.

Maybe the old Boarding House on Bush St? Amazing show.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

oh yeah..the boarding house.
that might be right, matt. sounds familiar.

i saw vassar clements and big jim murphy knock it out at the music hall. and you're right, that was a different room.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

chris ivey wrote:god, i can't believe what a crotchity old fart i've become.
Don't want to make this any rougher on you, but James Burton left the Hot Band in 1976. I challenge you to compare the energy of any artist or band, still playing today, too what they were doing 37-40 years ago.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

....even albert lee's an old gray haired gnome now!

he still tears it up as well as ever, though.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the eagles, too!
better than they ever were.

then think about emmons before retiring, and john h. up to the end. these guys played better than they ever did . increased skill levels allowing them to effortlessly outdo their previous selves.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

On their latest record they have a song called "Back When We Were Beautiful" btw.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

chris ivey wrote:i really must be dumb.....if i weren't about deaf at the moment.
Hope you're taking good care of your eyes, chris!
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

chris ivey wrote:the eagles, too!
You were lamenting over the Hot Band's "energy or excitement" from decades past compared to the recent Emmylou & Rodney show.
Now you bring up the Eagles??? The past 20 years (when they reformed in '94) they've had as much "energy or excitement" as some opening filler act at Lilith Fair. The Eagles music, to me, is watered down estrogen induced pop rock!!

The ACL show with Emmylou, Rodney, Steve, Jedd, Byron, Jerry, and Chris may not have had the energy level of a Hot Band show from 35-40 years ago, but there was an excitement there. Also there was a complexity and richness to everyone's playing, and singing, that now adds an even deeper dimension to the music.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Alvin Blaine wrote:
chris ivey wrote:the eagles, too!
You were lamenting over the Hot Band's "energy or excitement" from decades past compared to the recent Emmylou & Rodney show.
Now you bring up the Eagles??? The past 20 years (when they reformed in '94) they've had as much "energy or excitement" as some opening filler act at Lilith Fair. The Eagles music, to me, is watered down estrogen induced pop rock!!

The ACL show with Emmylou, Rodney, Steve, Jedd, Byron, Jerry, and Chris may not have had the energy level of a Hot Band show from 35-40 years ago, but there was an excitement there. Also there was a complexity and richness to everyone's playing, and singing, that now adds an even deeper dimension to the music.
I'll say that the Eagles current versions of their later rock stuff is fine. Their live treatments of the earlier country rock stuff is ok at best.