Marjorie Merriweather Post's Square Dance Band

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bunky Markert

Marjorie Merriweather Post's Square Dance Band

Post by Bunky Markert »

My wife is the director of the Hillwood Museum in Washington, DC, which is the former estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, who in her day, was one of the wealthiest women in America. She was the only daughter of CW Post, of Post cereal fame, and she inherited his fortune at age 27, and went on to grow it many times over. In addition to her DC digs, she built Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, FL that The Donald now owns and an Adirondack camp in upper state NY called Topridge. She had a 300' sailing yacht and an airplane, she was hooked up.

Picture file

Sorry for the long intro, but the staff would like to identify and if any of these folks are still around, interview members of a band in the photo who seems to have performed at several of her social events. She was an avid square dancer. The difficulty is we do not know where they are from, there are photos of them playing in Florida and at Topridge, but it is likely that she flew them to these engagements. They may have been from the DC area. If anyone recognizes any of these guys, the staff at Hillwood would be most grateful.
J. R. McClung

Post, Texas

Post by J. R. McClung »

If you have not done so, might check with these folks in Post, Texas: http://www.garzacountymuseum.org/
Maybe someone there knows or has leads.

My late in-laws were originally from the Post/Justiceberg area. My wife tells me there was a "Marjorie Room" in the museum.
Forget "world peace". Visualize using your turn signals.