Heavy finger picks - oh what a difference!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brandon Schafer

Heavy finger picks - oh what a difference!

Post by Brandon Schafer »

Today I switched up to .0225 from the .018 finger picks I've been using since I decided I had to walk away from bare fingers (about 1 year ago). I never would have guessed what a big deal it was to enhance my tone and rudimentary pick blocking.

As a guy who has been gigging steadily for a little under a year, this breakthrough, though probably not a big deal to many, has really excited me! I wanted to share because I figure there are other guys who may be newer to the instrument who would not know it made a noticable difference. I wouldn't have known myself before this evening!

What gauges of finger picks are the rest of you guys using?
Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

What brand did you go to and from? I believe I am currently using .018's myself. You mentioned pick blocking. Do you find it critical to really 'dig in' to pick block properly? Its the only way I can pick block consistantly.
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Interesting. I've been at it a year. At first I used the Dunlop .15, but then quickly moved up to .18 on the index and .20 on the middle. I tried the ACRI's which are nice and thick, sounded great actually, but my fingers would get sweaty, so I considered drilling holes in the sides there, but meanwhile just went back to the Dunlops. They fit like an old glove and sounded fine, and I forgot about it.

I remember reading Jeff Newman recommended .22 gauge or .25 and I think about how full those higher strings sounded with the heavy ACRI's. Maybe I'll pick up a set of heavier Dunlops and give em a whirl. Stay with nickel/steel or try brass? Any difference in sound there?
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Brandon Schafer

Post by Brandon Schafer »

I have been and am currently using regular old Dunlops since they're commonly available. Never tried any other brand or ones made of any other material at this point. It may be something to investigate.

Jeff - I have found it does make pick blocking easier. I don't have to "dig in" as hard to effectively and quickly deaden the vibration of the strings. It's surprising how much more effective at pick blocking the .0225's are for my playing.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you're gonna use differing gauges picks on different fingers, I'd suggest putting the heavier one on the index finger. The stiffer metal compensates for the slightly weaker finger
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

I prefer Nationals, they don't have the lip on them that tends to catch the string below the way the Dunlops do.On a course with Jeff Newman he told us "thin picks -thin sound", and recommend the Nationals, this was prior to doing his own.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Lane, that sounds about right. I had my reasons for going the other way, but I can't remember them now.:lol:

I think I might try a set of the Newmans. One thing I like about the Dunlops is that you can find them anywhere.

Either way going up in gauge makes sense, as well as getting a matched pair of picks.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

.025's sound and grip best to me.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Have used the Dunlop .025 fingerpicks since I started. I've tried the lighter ones, and they just don't cut it for me. They don't hold their shape as well, they tend to fly off my fingers, and they don't sound as good to my ear.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I also like the Dunlop .025 and Newman's JF's. I get better tone and a better contact feel on the strings with them. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Howard Smith

Post by Howard Smith »

I agree Brandon....I was using Nationals, and finally switched over to the Accri's. Big difference.....I wish I'd found them a long time ago.
Carter D10 8/5, Hilton VP, BJS Bar, Sonic Research Strobe Tuner, Elite' Powered Speakers, Fender Telecaster, Traynor YCV40 Tube Amp
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the picks that ended up in my dobro bag are nationals...feel beefy like .025's. all these picks have for markings is the word national...no gauge or anything else. they are great but i don't know where i got them. i imagine they're newer than my others.
Mule Ferguson

Post by Mule Ferguson »

Daniel: Acri has a bronze with 5 holes they also come in colors (Colours for our cross the pond friends). I love these picks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i have been using showcase 1941s for over 10 years
they are good heavy picks
( I think they are 25 gage) but they are much better than the thin gage picks
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

Showcase 1941 picks. They are the bomb. Real German nickle/silver. 0.025 only
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
Rick Myrland

Post by Rick Myrland »

"If you're gonna use differing gauges picks on different fingers, I'd suggest putting the heavier one on the index finger. The stiffer metal compensates for the slightly weaker finger"

The index is a weaker finger? This seem antithetical and I wouldn't say universal, so players may want to experiment a bit. They don't call it a trigger finger for no reason!
Mullen G2; Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb; Goodrich L-120
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Showcase 1941 is the only way to go for me. YMMV.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Resopik was the most comfortable for me, As you don't get the hang nail Which I have had with Dunlops... I always do one Bronz and one silver , that way you know which one goes on which finger.
A.K.A Chappy.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

I use Dunlop .025 gauge for both fingers. Bought a .015 once by mistake which was way too flexible. Besides the softer pick blade, the tabs bend too easily and dont hold as well.