Show Us Your Old Tube Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Smith

Show Us Your Old Tube Amp

Post by Dennis Smith »

Love the old 50's 60's small tube amps. I don't have a vintage amp but a Vintage 47 that is new. But I love the look and sound of the old amps.

This guy makes great video's on old amps.

1956 National Aztec
http://youtu.be/NTkIjhzUrl4

1960 Fender Princeton reverb blackface
http://youtu.be/fEfyMjyW1wM
A couple of others.
Supro tube amp
http://youtu.be/dt7FXzSrAvM

1956 Vega Director Amp
http://youtu.be/1-GhNjB_eFU
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

1966 Fender Showman with 2 D-130s

Thanks Steve!

https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

1959 Fender tweed Deluxe

1967 Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Steve Collins

Post by Steve Collins »

'69 Princeton and my newly finished cigar box guitar.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Sixties Fenders...

L-R: 12/62 Tremolux,3/64 Bassman,11/61 Princeton,5/62 Concert
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I have tried everything from Mesa Boogie pre amp to Evans, Twin Reverb, Session 400 & 500, Steel King and lots of just off the wall guitar amps. This old Music Man Sixty Five with 15"JBL sounds as good or better than anything I have ever owned. Thank Ken Fox for a lot of that !! :D
Bill
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I've said it before and I'll say it again-whoever owns the rights to Music Man amps is missing out big-time in not bringing them back.My 210-65,a '79 bought new in 1980,is the best six-string amp I've ever had,and my '81 212-150 is a respectable steel amp.I love my old Fenders,but Leo(BTW,happy birthday!) got clean stage amps exactly right with Music Man
b0b

I have two.

Post by b0b »

This is my small stack.

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

This is a "mint" mid 70's Fender Vibrosonic. It has recently been serviced with new power tubes and the works. This amp will probably be coming up for sale as it really does not get used enough.

Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
b0b

Post by b0b »

Now that's a pedal steel amp! :D
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Ken, I love your 1966 Fender Showman with 2 D-130s. I remember when I was just getting started in guitar going to someones house that had that exact same setup, and I asked mom if she would buy one for me... I was 8 years old at the time!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

1965 Twin Reverb, 15" JBL D-130 speaker. Grille cloth is period correct, but not original. I still have the 2x12 baffle board with the original grille cloth. This one isn't a museum piece, but it's a heck of a player.

Johnny Thomasson
Steve Collins

Post by Steve Collins »

Then there's this Airline I just scored at the Salvation Army for...ready? $7.00! It is made by Valco I am sure, and sounds terrific. I only have a schematic so far, no date or other info yet, still researching. Interesting that the power tubes are 6973's. (original RCA's I think).
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Steve,
That little Airline looks like the little brother to my first amp. It was purchased from the Montgomery Ward catalog about 1965 with my paper route money. Same two-tone tolex, same knobs, and the same sharp top corners. Mine also had two channels, one with tremolo but also reverb, and a 12" Jensen. Pretty sure the power tubes were 6L6s. Mine sounded terrific, but alas, it's long gone.
Jack
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Heres my '66 Fender Bandmaster above, and below with one of my favorite Telecasters.

Its the oldest tube amp I have. I've also got an early '70's silverface Bandmaster that I retolexed due to water damage, but this one sounds just a little more, well...vintage!

Here's my '86 Marshall modded by Suhr in '91.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Here's most of the smaller ones... note the 1947 Deluxe Model 26 'woodie'... first Fender-badged amp, still has the K&F treble-clef w/lightning logo, bought it in the late '70's in Lubbock, maybe Buddy Holly played through it!

You'll also note a '61 Tweed Falcon, a '61 Brown Deluxe, a '60's brown Reverb (blackface), a '65 BF Champ, and my '68 Deluxe 8 and JB Frypan w/Aiello p/u.

I've included a Roberts 'Stereo'... which might just as well be included as a nice little guitar amp, this was an addition to the Japanese Roberts (Akai, really) recorder (which I also have) that gave stereo playback.

New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Steve, that's a great price on the old Airline. I bought mine used in 1968, and carried it with me while I was in the Navy. A while back I replaced some caps, and tubes, and it sounded so good, I recovered it, and fixed the salt water damage. Ted recommended his 12A125A speaker, and it's just a great low volume guitar amp!

Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Here's some of 'em . . . .

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

56 Pro
Ampeg Super Echo Twin
mid-40s Oahu
Gibson 185 - pre-war
...had to sell it... Gibson GA50
Standel piggy backs 1962-ish
Standel 1959
Silverface Super Twin with the Standel cab although I think it sounds better with the Fender cab and 2 EVM-12 speakers
55 Vibrolux (on the right)and 59 Princeton ... had to sell the Princeton
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Ken Metcalf wrote:1966 Fender Showman with 2 D-130s

Thanks Steve!
What, are you thanking me for actually letting you have it back? I should be so lucky to be paid to have this amp in my possession *again*. You let me know if you get tired of it... re-tensed final sockets, new grid/screen resistors... repair 3-wire mod (the hot should go through *both* the switch and fuse... neutral goes straight to PT)... and 50Kohm added to the bottom of the Intensity pot (brought the Vib channel gain right up)... clean pots, Pro-Gold the tube pins... test all tubes (reissue Tung-Sols look great)... for the good-ol'-boy price.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Here is my 1965 Twin completely restored. New era correct tolex, grill and hardware. The chassis has been serviced and you would never know the true age of this amp by looking at it.

It also has Two new Webber neo cloth edge speakers. Needless to say it sounds and looks very nice.

Also, I know this thread is about tube amps but here is an odd ball Fender SFX where the speakers face the sides and has a power amp with effects. You need another amp with a line out or a preamp to operate this. This unit creates a hugh stereo sound.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

I have this -58 Ampeg Comboamp, a model that really shouldn't even exist, it could be the only one ever made? They used to make a Super Comboamp with two 15" speakers which is rarer than hen's teeth too, but this is a single. There's no mention of this particular model in the Ampeg book. It's basically a same model than their 835 Bassamp but with a different preamp. Needless to say, sounds great.

And this Premier 76 is a really nice too, perfect for lap steel and jazz and blues tones for guitar. Surprisingly loud too!

Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Jussi:

That Epiphone is beautiful, the amp also but that guitar has a lot of character.

Regards,

Lenny
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Thanks Lenny! It's a -49 Emperor that was restored at the Gibson factory sometime in the 60's, receiving a new Gibson made neck, sunburst finish, pickguard, bridge and the Johnny Smith PU. Apparently it was fairly common that people sent older Epis to Gibson for whatever repair work. I've seen several other examples with Gibson made necks and such. I no longer have the JS PU on it, I favor the DeArmond Rhythm Chief instead.
Sorry OT :)
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

2 -mid 70's Musicman amps..212/65 and 115/65,'64 Ampeg Jet, and a '68 Ampeg B12XT...Guitar is a '66 Ric FG360/12...