Sarno Black Box vs Freeloader

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Lebowitz

Sarno Black Box vs Freeloader

Post by Dan Lebowitz »

Hello. I am interested in getting either a Freeloader or Black Box. I am running my steel guitar into a 1968 Twin Reverb with a d130. Since I am already getting the benefits of my twin's 12ax7 (and other tubes), is it safe to assume that the freeloader would suit my needs? I really like how compact it is and that it doesn't need to be plugged in. However, I'm a bit of a tone junkie, so if there are some big benefits of the black box over the freeloader (even when used with a twin) I might be interested in getting the black box instead. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated... Especially from those of you who have used both the black box and the freeloader. Thanks!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

As a tangential bit of input, since I do not yet own any Sarno gear, I'd just offer my experience with the Lil' Izzy/Izzy Plus.
I will not run Solid State (Evans or Peavey) without a Bakerbuffer, but I prefer the tone of my (65 RI with 15) Twin just dead simple: guitar-Goodrich 120 - Twin.
Hey, it was good enough for Lloyd...
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

This was an answer to a thread on a question about the BB and a telonics pedal recently. I just ordered a BB and am playing through a 135w twin (whole different beast than the 68'). There are more threads on this topic that are worth reading.

St. Louis, MO USA
Post Posted 27 Jul 2013 5:30pm Reply with quote
If one likes to use the vari-z control knob often, then the Telonics is not as handy for that factor and the FreeLoader and Black Box are great companions. But if you find that there's that one Z (impedance) setting you really like and just leave it, then I'd say that a FreeLoader may be redundant with the Telonics, but the Black Box does a LOT more than the tone control. It works the tube magic into the sound and is the best device I know of for dialing in clear, bright low strings and sweet and silky high strings and high registers without any harshness. The Black Box into a Telonics VP is a great combo and would not be redundant whatsoever.
Brad Sarno
B
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
George Macdonald

Freeloader/Black Box

Post by George Macdonald »

Dan, I have both. At home I use the Black Box and when I play out I take the Freeloader due to its compact size. There may be a slight difference due to the tube in the BB, but the Freeloader does the job just fine. I'm using an MB 200 into a "Tommy Huff" cab with a Telonics speaker and a Telonics pedal.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Like George, I have both. I came to the same conclusion as George. I use the BB for recording and the FL for the bandstand. I love the vari-Z feature. I find I make slight adjustments several times during a gig. Running and old ShoBud thru either a GK, Fox Steel amp or Showman. Brad's products work well with all.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I have both as well. When playing thru my twin I use the freeloader. The black box adds warmth to a solid state amp but I don't find it necessary when playing thru the twin. The freeloader is a great match for the twin.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

FL is on the list. Anything to lighten the load.