Poncie Ponce passes, had steel on his LP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ron Whitfield

Poncie Ponce passes, had steel on his LP

Post by Ron Whitfield »

My thread with a dl link to Poncie's LP is somehow lost in the SGF ether but he was a supporter of our instrument and he's now gone, he embodied the Hawaiian spirit with Aloha in ways that are rarely found now and was a fun guy.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... ies-594111
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

A legendary entertainer!

I remember when we did a Hawaii Calls tribute show five years ago at the Hawaii Theater, they showed some of the old "travelogue" films on the big screen. On one of them, a singing Poncie Ponce comes strolling down the beach in Daisy Dukes, unbuttoned shirt tied in a knot at his torso :whoa: . Lots of reaction from the crowd on that one. A different era for sure.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Moved to Gone Home from Steel Without Pedals.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Bill Wynne

Post by Bill Wynne »

I was a huge fan of Poncie Ponce. I am not sure I would have called him a supporter of the steel guitar. He was not a bandleader; he played with the bands hired to back him. The arranger of his Warner Brothers LP - "Poncie Ponce Sings" - hired California-based Vince Akina (of The Polynesians) for that album (playing pedal steel). And on the Hawaii Calls radio and TV programs (from which that video clip comes that Jeff mentions), the steel player was Barney Isaacs.

~ Bill