I'M just thinking about a Steel Jam In Sebring FL.

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Sam White

I'M just thinking about a Steel Jam In Sebring FL.

Post by Sam White »

I'm just thinking about having a Steel Guitar Jam in the Sebring Florida Area.Who would be interested. I'm not sure yet as I have to go to the VA this Wedensday and see what is going on with my heart.It may not be any problem.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Hey Sam,
If it will be a 2 day event, I would be interested. Our daughter lives in Orlando, so we could drive from there.

But it would not be worth the trip for me to only play one 30 min spot (hence, 2 days).

Bill Ferguson
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Hi Bill It would only be a one day Steel jam and you will be able to play with tracks the frist hour depending on how many come and the we will have a band and you will get to play with the band for about 45 min. and if we have time you can play another 1/2 hour.
Thanks for your intrest
Sam White.
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Jim Princehorn

Post by Jim Princehorn »

Sam,
We are in the Orlando area and would try to attend. Keep us posted if you get something going.
Jim
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

HI Jim I will keep you informed. keep a eye on this post. I will be going to the Senior center here in Sebring this Saturday night and Larry Hanley from Winter Haven area will be there playing Steel. Don West who runs the show said he might have two Steel players this coming Saturday night.If you are not working a Gig take a run down to the Sebring Senior Center it is on Sebring Parkway at the first traffic light after Walgreens as you come into Sebring take a left at the light and about a mile down on your left.
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Sorry guys I have to call it off as i have a weak heart and the VA Doctor told me not to lift any thing heavier than 20 pounds. He put me on a very strict Diet.I have two other arteries that are 20% blocked an other one is 30 % and the small artery is 80% blocked so I have to watch what I do and eat.
Sam White
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There have been several steel shows here in Florida over the years. Most do not draw or even break even. We (Florida Steel Guitar Club) have had several shows since the club started in 2002, even with "name" steel players and very low or even free admission they didn't draw. Heywood Henson has a yearly show in the Lakeland area and it too, even with "name" pickers doesn't draw that good. Johnny Bondz (Bondz Music store in Wildwood) had a show one year and again even with "name" steeler's he considered himself lucky to break even.

The most successful was a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame fundraising show we did in 2004 or 5. It was heavily promoted by the club members and we got a lot of non steeler's (snowbirds) to attend. Except for one HOF steeler, everyone else donated their time (thanks to Lynn Owsley for busing them to Florida and to the Calhoun Twins for putting them up at their "Ranch" Tour bus company hospitality house).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

"Ditto" on everything Jack said.
It was 2004 according to my records.
We also had the FREE use of Catfish Johnny Galvin's Restaurant and party barn.
Without that it was not going to happen as well because the club does not have membership dues to offset expenses.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Sammy you are probably better off keeping it Local (Florida Steelers)keep the admission down or non existant. There are pickers and singers out there but getting them out now is more difficult. The Catfish Johnnys get together's is a unique club.They cater to the pickers have guest and run a tight ship.They get commitments and cater to them.If one doesn't let them know he is coming then they are at the mercy of the time schedule. Alotted times are balanced to fit the program. They have the right yearly timing and treat their members fairly.What i'm saying is don't let it become a Hindu Picnic. ;-) ;-) :lol:
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Joe
Thanks pal for the comments.
You are right on top of it.
Drop in whenever you get the chance.
Say to Smiley for me.
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Thanks Jack,Don And Joe for you comments.I think it is best that I just go to the Cat fish Johnny steel Meeting and jam.When i run the Jams in Greeneville TN. and Clayton N.C. every thing was free. I would get the halls free and what ever the place got for the food a 1/2 of the fifty fifty was theirs. Everyone had a good time and I even had Sid Hudson come to a couple of them and I went to the one he ran up in VA.I just have to lay low as the DR. at the VA said my heart is very week and I have to see him in three months and if i do not get it built up more than it is they will put in a Defibulator.I was just testing to see how many would be interested. I got two responses and they were not sure so I will not even try one here. I will go to Catfish Johnny,s and enjoy the other steel players. JOE CASEY you know about the Steel Guitar Associations that I started up in R.I. and RISGA has been going since 1997 and the New England Steel Guitar association has been going since 2009 and they are both still going strong with lots of Steel Players from as far north as Maine New Hampshire and Vermont. NESGA has Steel players going to there monthly Jams in R.I.from New York and New Hampshire.I had left the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association and they have now made Anna and I honorary members and we are happy they did that for us.
Sam White
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Sam
You should think about taking a ride over to the Manasota steel club jam. It's much closer to you than Catfish Johnny's.
Many of the steel players, if not all are members of the Florida Steel Club as well. A bunch of very good steel players as well, both non pedal and pedal steel and dobro.
Directions are on their post below.
Don

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Sammy I would never put down your efforts to organize Steel Shows and Clubs. You have made many friends and continue to do so and count me as one. Both RI clubs continue to flourish and I remember meeting you at one of Hankey's Bash I did with Bobbe Seymour and Smiley Roberts several years ago in Lee Mass..You are going through some health issues and still have that desire to organize a show. That in itself is amazing but first take care of your health first and foremost. Sit back and enjoy the fruits of what you have already accomplished.
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Thank You Joe Casey for the kind words. We do have to give my wife Anna some of the credit she has been behind me all the way.I think you are right I should cool it for awhile and see how things work out with my health. Today I feel my old self again. I have been on this strike Diet the Heart Doctor put me on and I'm doing a lot better since last Wed.I feel much better and I don't get tied if I do any kind of light work.Anna and I went to WaL-Mart and I walked all over that store and did not get short of breath or soreness.I will sit back and go to the Bradenton Steel Jam which is only about 70 miles from Sebring and to the Catfish Johnney Meeting and Jam.I will not be going to any until next month as I have to go to the VA in West Palm and have some more test and check my Coloted Artery's
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Well I went for my Sonna Gram Friday and what the woman that did it said it looks good to her but it is up to the Doctor to tell me and not to tell the Doctor she told me that. I'm glad she told me as it made me feel a lot better I was kind of worried.I have decided not to run any more Steel Guitar Jams not shows.I will sit back and enjoy the one's in Brandonton and Cat Fish Johnny's. If my Friend that comes down to Ocalla for the winter is here in time for the September one at Cat Fish Johnny's Anna and I will be there with him and I can get to meet everyone.I meet Thompson from Maine when we lived in Maine.Joe casey I hope to see you at Cat Fish Johnny's at one of the Steel Guitar Clubs meetings and jam.
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Well I went for my Sonna Gram Friday and what the woman that did it said it looks good to her but it is up to the Doctor to tell me and not to tell the Doctor she told me that. I'm glad she told me as it made me feel a lot better I was kind of worried.I have decided not to run any more Steel Guitar Jams not shows.I will sit back and enjoy the one's in Brandonton and Cat Fish Johnny's. If my Friend that comes down to Ocalla for the winter is here in time for the September one at Cat Fish Johnny's Anna and I will be there with him and I can get to meet everyone.I meet Thompson from Maine when we lived in Maine.Joe casey I hope to see you at Cat Fish Johnny's at one of the Steel Guitar Clubs meetings and jam.
Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Sam White
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

BOB Close this Thread.
Sam White