Need Gibson P90 PU

Post here if you're looking for something special
Jim Bates

Need Gibson P90 PU

Post by Jim Bates »

Anyone have a good used Gibson P90 pickup with mounting 'ears' on the end? Alnico poles preferred. This for a Gibson lap steel.

Thanx,
Jim
Tommy Wayne

P90

Post by Tommy Wayne »

Hey Jim,
I know that you're likely looking for a vintage pickup but if you can't find one I'd recommend contacting Lindy Fralin. He winds all kinds of "vintage" pickups with great attention to detail!
Good Huntin'
Tommy Wayne
Tom Menig

Gibson P-90

Post by Tom Menig »

Are you looking for a six or eight string model? I have an eight I might be willing to part with. Thanks Tom
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Sorry, I need six string model.

OR

Can someone tell me how to fix a magnetic pole pickup that has a weak string. How could I move magnet closer to string? Just push on magnet??

Thanx,
Jim
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Pole has to be closer.. The magnet is underneath - you don't move the magnet - you move the pole :)
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Gary Patterson

Post by Gary Patterson »

I have a new Seymour Duncan "Vintage P-90" but it's soapbar design. Is that any help? How 'bout $60 shipped?
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Jim,

Assuming your P90 has adjustable screws polepieces, if you do not know how to lubricate those screws prior to trying to adjust them, to prevent stripping them, and good maintenance anyway, ...then PM me and I'll email you how to do it with the correct oil, without chancing ruining the pickup, and without causing the oil to induce resistance between the screws and the receiving threads. ...etc.

-------

BUT if you still need / want to buy a P90, then I suggest that before you do, ask Forumites here about the voicings of the several different real-original vintage P90s as well as newer "copies / versions"; Keeping in mind that there were / are significant differences between each individual pickup on the same year & model lap steel, from "loose" tolerances in manufacturing and from different ageing environments. I am almost positive that I remember an expert pickup builder posting on the forum a few years back, I think it was Jason but not positive, say that original P90's (some / most / all ???) (and obviously the zillions of newer "copies" / versions) were wound differently for steels than spanish (aka standard) guitars, for their different voicings; And you will notice the several different voicings / parameters of Jason's P90's.

If having a correct year-period P90 for your Gibson steel is not important, then I suggest shopping for one that suits the sound / tones / voicing / dynamics that you prefer. Telling the Forumites what of those pickup characters you desire, will likely trigger replies of tech data and opinions about different P90's Forumites have personally had / heard or know about reasonably well; And if you need, some Forumites can explain what the different parameters mean that Jason Lollar lists for his P-90s, linked below.

-------

Jason makes great P-90 pickups; Choose your type and voicing:
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mercha ... 90-pickups

-------

I hope this might help.
Aloha,
Denny T~
http://www.dennysguitars.com/

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Thanks to all of your suggestions. My P90 has fixed pole pieces, not screw poles.

After a few hours working on the p/u this afternoon, I did finally get it to working on all 6 strings with fairly even sound (loudness), except for the first string which mainly too thin of gauge. Even though I managed to raise the pole on that string as close as I could without touching string, the first string was just too thin.

I did tear apart the pickup to learn how to move the poles, which I finally managed to do by using a punch and small hammer. After tapping lightly and then not so lightly, all of them eventually moved without breaking any of the mounting / cover. Also, I reworked the solder joints of the hot and ground leads. It came to life! Then, I spent experimenting with raising the poles up or down and trying the sound.

So for now, I have a playable vintage lap steel with its original vintage pickup.

Thanx,
Jim