When it's time to upgrade, what should I do?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Travis Lyon

Post by Travis Lyon »

I have a beautiful 70's MSA Classic in a natural maple finish that has been setup by a great player and fellow forumite, Paul Vendemmia. He warned me that eventually I would outgrow the steel if I wanted to add changes because of the changers limitations. I was wondering what an affordable upgrade would be? A Zum Encore? A Mullen Discovery? I'd like to stick with a single E9 neck, but I'd like more pedals and levers. I currently have a 3x4 Emmons setup but I'd like a 4x5 or a 5x5.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i think adding one more knee and one more foot pedal should be feasible on your msa...especially if you can grab some reasonable or cheaper used parts.

otherwise you'll spend alot more on another steel.
msa mechanics are fairly straightforward.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

What Chris said. All three of the forum guys that sell MSA parts sell this clever block that allows a finger to borrow a pull from its neighbor, whether up/down or left/right. You can have all of the common changes on a double raise/double lower guitar without resorting to the "nuclear option" of Sho-Bud rods and barrels., which would allow unlimited pulls on a string.
Modern guitars are a little easier to play, action-wise, but that MSA is pretty darn flexible.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I personally think the msa you have is about as good as the ones you mentioned. I would wait till I was ready to buy a full on top level instrument.

If the reason you want more pedals and levers is so you can play a certain lick or chord you might want to have a more advanced player show you how to play the elusive chord on your current guitar. It will help you understand the tuning in a much deeper way.
Bob
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Gotta agree with Bob on that.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Travis is not ur typical beginner. He has an ear, education, plays other instruments, gigs out in multiple genres, and appreciates all sorts of music including Chris Ivey's newly found "swing neck." A geetar that facilitaes an easy copedent change De Jour with surplus knees/pedals, and accommodating (triple raise/lower changer) what some may describe as modern changes, is what Travis wants. Attractively priced too.....
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I would not be looking at new guitars, the best values are in used guitars. Carter and Fessenden are usually excellent values on the used market. Pedals and levers can be added to most. There's really no secret; shop around, find a nice used guitar that suits you, that's it.