Fender 400 with 6 Pedals

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Jeff Harbour

Fender 400 with 6 Pedals

Post by Jeff Harbour »

A friend's music store presently has a Fender 400 for sale, asking price is $800 (plus shipping). It is an 8-string with 6 pedals. Judging by some forum threads, I believe it to be made around '65-'70.

It includes the original hard case and leg bag. It has minimal wear and tear, and all parts are present and appear to be fully functional.

At the moment, the string gauges for 1 & 2 are out of sequence, but I was able to tune up the rest to a quick open C6 to test the playibility.

The electronics are well intact, and I was amazed by how easily I achieved a very full tone from that pickup, even through the small amp with two 10's that was available.

Upon my initial inspection, there was no logical way to guess the last open tuning that was used... let alone the pedal setup. But, here is what each pedal currently does:

P1 = Lowers string 8
P2 = Lowers strings 1 & 4
P3 = Lowers string 7
P4 = Raises string 7, and Lowers string 6
P5 = Raises string 1
P6 = Raises strings 2 & 6

I know that the vast changes that have occured to steel guitar since the 60's make this steel difficult for beginners. That's why I have decided to post it here. I think this guitar will find a very good home to someone here on the forum who has the knowledge to get the full playing potential out of such a unique instrument by today's standards.

Please email me for contact info and technical details. Here are a few pictures. I have more available on request.

Jeff Harbour

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Bumping it...
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Very odd pedal setup. The good thing is that on this guitar you can easily change it to whatever you prefer. Nice looking guitar at a fair price. Good luck!
Ian S. Cameron

Post by Ian S. Cameron »

has this guitar been sold?!
Jan Lissnils

Post by Jan Lissnils »

Is the guitar still available?

Regards / Jan