Anybody Usin Windows 8?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Andy Sandoval

Anybody Usin Windows 8?

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I just purchased a new Gateway tower with Windows 8 installed and so far it's workin out pretty good. I was runnin XP for a long time so it's a little bit of a challenge to learn a new operating system. Anybody else out there usin it? If so, how do you like it?
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

Wasn't a fan of it... Was really buggy for me... Windows Server 2012 is the same thing minus all the B.S... And I love that...
Colin Goss

Windows 8 from XP

Post by Colin Goss »

I made the jump to W8 by upgrading my PC to W8 with the aid of PC mover which moved (almost) all of my programs as well, so I didn't have to find registration codes etc.

Apart from the awful start metro screen, (which I now avoid totally using start8 - which gives me a start button and menu as per XP) I am pretty happy.

Much faster than XP - I think it was worth upgrading
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have Win 8 Pro as a dual boot, as I got the special $39 download version from Microsoft. I also have Star8 which gives the desktop like Win 7. But, Win 7 is still my main Windows OS.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I've had to change the compatibility mode on a couple of older programs but other than that I'm gettin used to the system which seems a bit faster and smoother than XP. The start up metro screen doesn't bother me that much even though I use the desktop screen a lot more and once you learn some basic keyboard shortcuts you can get around pretty fast. One thing I like about the metro screen is bein able to just type what your lookin for wihtout havin to open a search box.
Michael Barone

Post by Michael Barone »

I’m running the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on a home built Intel with SSD since November. I bought the same deal that Jack describes. Some minor video bugs at first, but I solved that.

It runs Pro Tools 10 and my 15 year old Sounddiver synth editor like a dream. I got rid of all useless tiles and created a new, more practical set in 4 sections. Since doing that, I don’t miss the Start Menu at all. Boots up and shuts down under 12 seconds and loads Pro Tools sessions in 7 seconds. I’ve been using Win 8 as the only OS on my studio computer for a few months now, very happy with it.

Mike
Marvin Stegall

windows 8

Post by Marvin Stegall »

I love it