32 Bit vs 64 Bit ?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

J W Alexander

32 Bit vs 64 Bit ?

Post by J W Alexander »

When it comes to software, specifically Win XP Pro what is the difference? Is it noticeable in speed or performance?

TIA
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

Technically, Windows XP is an operating system not software. What it means specifically for Windows XP Pro is the amount of memory that can be utilized. Win XP Pro 32-bit can only use a maximum of 4GB of memory where as the 64-bit counterpart can use up to 8GB of memory. Which, in turn can be represented as a performance increase.

As far as what applications will run on 32 vs 64 bit OSs? Most all 32-bit apps will run on a 64-bit OS version. No 64-bit apps will run on a 32-bit OS.

As a side note, Microsoft has put and End-of-Life on Windows XP. You should consider using Windows 7 or (God forbid) Windows 8 unless there is a viable reason to not use XP. (You notice I didn't say Vista either, right?)

IMPO, Windows XP is terrible but Windows 8 is worse. Windows 7 has my vote.

Anyway, hope it helps...
J W Alexander

Post by J W Alexander »

Thanks Chris---that's helpful.

I have Win 7 and absolutely HATE it! I know, I know all IT guys now hate XP Pro and everything else is suddenly better. :)

I intend to keep one computer with XP as its a lot easier and seems quicker than my Professional edition of Win 7. Its unlikely that computer would ever be connected to the internet so security wouldn't be an issue.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

XP was the choice of many for a long time. Win 7 has changed the thinking of many "died in the wool" Windows XP users (obviously not all including you).

Some new/newer software will not run on XP. Many Audio applications are in that category as XP handles some sound features differently than the current Windows OS' (including Vista/7/8). Separate sound drivers are needed for XP, and some hardware vendors no longer support that with some current technology hardware. I have Sonar X2 recording studio software and it does not (officially) work on XP, Vista (minimum) is required.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I have Xp on my desktop and Win 7 on my laptop. I much prefer win Xp to Win 7 and have no plans to upgrade my desktop unless Micro$#*T does something to blow up my desktop.

Disclaimer: I do like Win 7, just not as much as Xp.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

I like W7 more than XP, not only for the memory room (I have 16 GB), but like it or not nearly all software Mfg's are going to continue to march to M$ tune of 64-bit (and probably eventually 128-bit) applications. I'm almost certain the DAW's will continue to go that way.

While I understand those who want to hang on to XP, the newer apps are sooner or later not going to work on it and you're going to have the make that decision. As stated earlier, the EOL on XP is a given, and apps are going to soon all be marching to the 64-bit tune, just too many advantages not to.

JMHO, YMMV.
J W Alexander

Post by J W Alexander »

Dickie thanks for your input---mucho gracias! :)

Certainly XP is going away, just as did every other OS before it---its inevitable, sad but true. I'm not one to chase the latest greatest new thing just because its new. Financially that's just crazy to me plus I don't use my computer as often or for as much as most do.

I have migrated a lot of invoicing and record keeping to a computer as its more efficient and saves resources for both me and my customers. It seems wasteful to print and mail bills when it can be done online. I don't allow any other source of payment other than a paper check, never use electronic transfers for anything other than paying on Amazon, eBay and similar sites.

Honestly I could probably get by with Win 98 ME if it were still available! :)

I'm grudgingly growing used to Win 7 while still looking to upgrade a few machines running XP Pro to be used offline almost always.

Thanks again all--very informative!
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

JW, I don't really chase new technology either, usually sitting back a version or so on selected applications. Unfortunately, Adobe chose to follow the 64-bit path with the CS6 Master Suite Creative applicatons, I had no alternative but to go there as well since I use that application heavily. It does help speed-wise with video renderings and such.

Also, as I get ready to move into recording, most of the better DAWs are 64-bit compatible and most likely all will be eventually. I really did like XP, better than Vista if you can believe that. I think Vista was a mistake, and I think they know that.

Good luck on your pursuits, I do understand where you're coming from, but time marches on and we have to adapt to new things as we can. MHO, YMMV.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Start making plans to transition away from Windows XP by the spring of 2014. The March 2014 Windows updates will be the last ones issued for that OS. After that, you will be exposed to malware attacks with no further remediation from Microsoft. Internet facing XP PCs will be cannon fodder for botnets and Trojans.

After the final updates of March, 2013, take your XP machines offline, or operate as a Limited User only while online. There will be no need for the Admin account, since there won't be any more Windows Updates, driver updates, software updates, etc. EOL: April 2014.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
J W Alexander

Post by J W Alexander »

Dickie I certainly hear the drumming that'll eventually lead me into the brave new world, albeit kicking and screaming in defiance all the way. I'll get there eventually! :)

Wiz I was planning on having made my transition to the new whatever by EOL for XP-Pro, March of '14. What is the Limited User function or process?
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

J W Alexander wrote:Dickie I certainly hear the drumming that'll eventually lead me into the brave new world, albeit kicking and screaming in defiance all the way. I'll get there eventually! :)

Wiz I was planning on having made my transition to the new whatever by EOL for XP-Pro, March of '14. What is the Limited User function or process?
Read my in-depth explanation about user privileges.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog