Are Sierra S8 laps strung thru the body?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Rossen

Are Sierra S8 laps strung thru the body?

Post by Jim Rossen »

Thanks,
Jim
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Yes, they are.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Yes, they are. The string-through design, combined with an extremely high bridge and nut, gives great string tension.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, strings through the body... and there is a metal piece running through the middle of the instrument, the entire length of the instrument (similar to the Gibson EH-185)... the strings go through that piece, the keyhead is attached to that piece of metal, and the metal nut makes contact with that piece. All of this means more sustain.

Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

Doug Beaumier wrote:Yes, strings through the body... and there is a metal piece running through the middle of the instrument, the entire length of the instrument (similar to the Gibson EH-185)... the strings go through that piece, the keyhead is attached to that piece of metal, and the metal nut makes contact with that piece. All of this means more sustain.
So I guess all lap steels are not just a plank of wood with strings and a pickup. :lol: The Sierra S8 seems to be in a class all its own. So the "white" stripe going through the middle of steel is actually the metal plate- amazing!

Steve Ahola
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

So the "white" stripe going through the middle of steel is actually the metal plate- amazing!

Yes, at first I thought it was an inlay in the wood. Not so. It's a metal plate running the length of the instrument, though the middle of it. The body is two hardwood pieces, one attached to the top of the plate and the other attached to the bottom of the plate, like the 1930s Gibson EH-185. So the strings pass through the entire body and plate, and the keyhead is attached to the plate on the other end. So many of the important parts make contact with the metal plate. I've never taken it apart, but that's how it looks to me, under close inspection! 8) I had an EH-185 about 20 years ago and this construction reminds me of that. Wish I had kept that Gibson!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I believe that the body is pakawood.....a resin impregnated wood that can be drilled & tapped.....
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ahhh... pakkawood. That's a very heavy compressed hardwood/plastic combination. Dekley pedal steel bodies were pakkawood, hence the excessive weight.

I'm glad that legs are now standard on the Sierra 8. I had one of the early lap steel ones and it was like having a cement block on my lap!
...a resin impregnated wood.
No wonder I keep screwing up the songs!
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

The MSA Super Slide is close behind, an aluminum "boat", the pakka wood (Dymondwood?) resin-impregnated birch ply "neck", and another big chunk of aluminum as the headstock. And everyone I know is trying to knock the highs down off the things! :lol:
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

HowardR wrote:I believe that the body is pakawood.....a resin impregnated wood that can be drilled & tapped.....
I know of at least one that was built with some real nice mahogany. Its a not so common 6 string, so that might have something to do with it too.
Here it is after I made a new plate and rosewood pickup shell for one of Rick Aiello's "Dining Car" pickups. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=235477

Dennis Burling

Post by Dennis Burling »

When my son was looking for a lap steel, he was set on a Sierra after he saw/heard Cindy play one at a show. I tried to talk him into one of Tom Pettingills lap steels. I now have the Sierra and it's a monster. It's the closest tone to a pedal steel that I've heard from a lap steel. I love it. By the way, the Sierra I have has legs. I agree with Doug, it's just to heavy to play on your lap.
William W Western

Post by William W Western »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Doug Beaumier couldn't coax some good sound out of a cement block.

>I had one of the early lap steel ones and it was like having a cement block on my lap!
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

I'm glad that legs are now standard on the Sierra 8. I had one of the early lap steel ones and it was like having a cement block on my lap!
I bought that guitar from you, Doug, and quickly followed that buy with the purchase of a Roeder stand. I also replaced the bulky SKB case with a Bulldog assault rifle bag; it fits so well that it might have been made to order for the Sierra. Together the Sierra and the hardshell case must be at least 25 pounds and take up way too much truck space!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ian, that was a good move, getting the Roeder stand. Having the Sierra on a stand or on legs makes a world of difference!
William, thanks for your kind words. It's great to see you here on the Forum.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I had one of the early Sierras, and there was a problem with the string getting caught in the hole (somehow wedged behind that metal plate). I'm assuming they fixed that later on, because it was a real drag.
Jim Rossen

Post by Jim Rossen »

Does all the stiffness make the Sierra excessively bright in tone?
Jim
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It's the closest tone to a pedal steel that I've heard from a lap steel.
I agree. I feel like I'm playing C6 pedal steel when I play my Sierra. It has such a full, fat tone... between the GeorgeLs humbucking pickup, the heavy body, the massive construction, the tuners, etc. it looks and sounds like a pedal steel to me, except for the wide string spacing. It's a modern tone, and I know that some players don't like that. Sometimes I don't like that either because I prefer the raw, single coil sound of a vintage steel guitar, but I will admit that a modern tone works well for some songs, for some styles.

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Here is one of two twelve strings (I believe the only two) in "Cherry".......

Walter Seaman

C6 strings for the 8 string?

Post by Walter Seaman »

Hi SGF folks. I'd be interested to hear what your choices are for strings for C6 tunings on the 8 string lap like the Sierra (which seem to get pretty great reviews over all as far as I can see). Thanks for your time and help!
Hal Stackhouse

Sierra Lap Steels

Post by Hal Stackhouse »

Hi Everyone, The Sierra's are made out of the same material that they make the sound boards for baby grand piano's according to Tom at Sierra.

Thanks

Hal
Don Crowl

Post by Don Crowl »

Hey Howard, I acquired the other 12 string Sierra. Love the tone. I need new strings as they are old & I retuned it to a Bb13th. Do you know of a string gauge chart that is best for Sierra lap steels? Do you have a recommendation for the brand of strings best for the Sierra? Maybe that is one of those according to your ear things. If anyone else cares to share their experience I would appreciate it. A trick I found is to use those skinny coffee stir "straws" for threading bent strings through. Works great. Anyway, it is nice to know where the other 12 string is.
Don