Roland 80XL Cube

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul King

Roland 80XL Cube

Post by Paul King »

I have two friends who have one of these amps and they highly recommend it. They use it for the E9th tuning. Does anyone know how the amp would handle C6th? Is the speaker strong enough to handle the low notes? I see where the amp is not specifically made for pedal steel but these two men are well pleased with it. I have seen a thread here but the C6th was not covered. I also understand they are cheaper than the 112 amp and steel king amps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

After doing a little more research, I found another threead on these amps. The comments were very complimentary. I am leaning this way since so many guys are pleased with this product. I stll would like to know how well it handles C6th.
Bruce Hamilton

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

I purchased a 80x amp about a month ago and had my inaugural gig with it last weekend. The room I was playing in has a capacity of 170-200 with >20ft ceilings. The 80x was not miked and the band was playing to fill the room. I could not detect any distortion from the amp at all. That is playing a lot of full chords and the occasional boo-waw pedal.Having said that I haven't played through a 12inch speaker since the 1960's and the amp was under warranty. So I was treading very carefully. I have not pushed the amp at home or on stage to find out if there is a breaking point but it seems hold up really well at considerable volume.Having considerable bias towards a tiny amp with a 12inch speaker I am awaiting to see how it holds up over the the long haul.