lap steel cleaning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Miles Unite

lap steel cleaning

Post by Miles Unite »

Hi,
I would like to know what is best to use to clean an instrument. I just picked up a Fender Champ lap steel and I'd like to clean it before putting a new set of strings on.
So what should I use for the painted body and for the chrome plate? Also, should I stay clear of the Fender decal? I don't want to rub it off.
Of course if this is covered in another thread, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance to you guys.

Miles
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Mineral spirits works well and wont harm the finish, the decal or the chrome. Keep it away from plastics, however.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

Miles,
Several years ago, I purchased a product called "Joha String Oil" from a company called Vitali Imports, Phone # 800-325-8154. I am not sure they are still around. It has been almost 15 years since I bought it from them. I had to buy several bottles to meet the minimum order amount.
The product is sold as string oil, but it is great as a cleaner. It has a strong odor of some solvent content, so I guess it works as pretty much as an all purpose cleaner/lubricant like WD40.
Anyway, try to call them and see if they still are in business and still have the product. It works real well.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

I just serched this company on the internet. They are still around, in Whittier, Ca. ( Home of past President Trick Dicky Nixon). They apparantley are a string instuument supplier and sell parts and accesories.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I use Meguiare's Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 to clean the finishes on pedal and lap steel. It's very, very gentle, but will safely remove surface mung. Nicotine stains in the case of my Deluxe. California Custom Purple polish for the chrome or aluminum. There was some pitting on my Fender, and after using the polish, I can no longer find the pits!
Before and after;

It's not really that white! That was cuz of the flash. Here's it's color;