Ralph Mooney and his Sho-Buds

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Sherman

Ralph Mooney and his Sho-Buds

Post by Jeff Sherman »

Hello All,
I was looking at some of the achieves about Ralph Mooney on this forum. I also went back and listened to many youtube recordings back in the day. I really loved his style of playing and his sound configuration he used. I read on this forum that some or all of his Sho-Buds he used and recorded with did not use the original pickups but he had custom pickups wound per Fender specs. Is this true ? The reason why I am asking is because at some point down the line, I would like to find a Sho-Bud with this same configuration. It has a very distinguishable sound. It has a much brighter sound than lets say what Lloyd Green used on his recordings.

Jeff
Atwater, CA.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Very simple to do.. When you get a Bud, measure the resistance of the pickup with an ohm meter... Lets say its 17 K or so.. Send it to Jerry Wallace and have him put a tap in it... Same pickup, no mods, other than the coils rewound with tapping capabilities.. Have one "tap" at Fender specs say 10 K or so, and the other at bud specs around 16-17... VERY easy to do and cheap.. Probably $50-60 last I knew... You will have your Bud sound and a very nice bright "Fendery" sound as well... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......