Ad-Aware Error Message

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Andy Sandoval

Ad-Aware Error Message

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I'm using Ad-Aware se build 1.05 and every time I try to check for updates I get an error message that says "error retrieving update". What gives?
Bryan Garvey

Post by Bryan Garvey »

Hi Andy

Ad-Aware 1.05 SE is getting quite old now. Even if you have been getting updates, they only update the data base and not the search engine. This could have let adware/spyware into your computer which could be causing your problem or they may have stopped supporting this version.
I would uninstall this version and install a newer version.

If you do not have a preference, I would uninstall Ad-aware and install Malwarebytes. Ad-aware did a great job but Malwarebytes does an even better job. You can download a free version from http://www.malwarebytes.org

Which ever way you go, please make sure you do a full scan of your computer in view of your initial problem.

Cheers
Bryan
Last edited by Bryan Garvey on 8 Jan 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Old security, as well as various regular software programs that have update checking components often encounter changes in servers over a period of time. It is common for an out of date program to fail to contact its updates Mothership, since the ship is now in a different orbit.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Old security, as well as various regular software programs that have update checking components often encounter changes in servers over a period of time. It is common for an out of date program to fail to contact its preset updates server, after a new server has been assigned in its place. Unless the company implements are 301 or 302 redirect, the updater fails.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
b0b

Post by b0b »

I worked for a software company once (who shall remain nameless). The marketing department insisted that we put a "check for updates" feature in the startup sequence, against our advice. It would check a web service that we wrote and maintained on the company's server.

Needless to say, after the program was released there was no budget to maintain the web service and no marketing incentive to actually provide updates. To this day, every time I run the program I get the prompt "Do you want to check for updates?". If I say yes, it fails. The web service was deleted from the server long ago. The URL is no longer valid.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video