Dating a Goodrich 120 Volume pedal.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Metz Jr.

Dating a Goodrich 120 Volume pedal.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

I have an older Goodrich 120 VP that I am looking to restore. It is all chrome top and sides with a black rubber top with lines not grip tape. I want to date the pedal. Seriel Number 33 7 73 0 3.
I also would like to know what type of cleaner to use to get the years of smoke stain/grime off of it to make it look new again. Thanks
Jeff
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I know I'm old, getting grey, losing my perfect shape, developing a few wrinkles and all that, but I think I could do a bit better than having to date a volume pedal!

(Sorry, Christmas Egg Nog kicking in)

Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Jeff Metz Jr.

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Well the pedal turned me down anyway :( Looks like i'll try to date the tuner.
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Jeff, Fantastic or rubbing alcohol will do a fine job for cleaning the pedal of years of smoke, dirt, etc.
Can't help you on dating the pedal. I date a Hilton, (not Paris Hilton)
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Jeff, I'm curious where you found the serial number on your pedal. My old 120 is from the '70s and is similar to yours, based on your description, but I don't see a serial number.

This was my only pedal for decades, and it shows! But it still works fine. I've replaced the pot and string numerous times, even drew myself a restringing diagram right on the pedal to remind me how to do it.

I finally replaced the 35+ -year-old feet the other day, using neoprene plumber's sealing washers similar to those on my newer L-120. But they're not tall enough to clear the front bracket screws, so I guess I'll be trying some taller rubber feet, at least for the front two.

Mine is a 2-jack unit. I'm wondering when Goodrich started putting in the third jack.

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Where it was made can help generally date it. E.g. Ruskin Florida or Michigan.

I have a Ruskin Fl built 120 but there is no date or serial number on it.

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish should help clean it up. This is available at most auto parts stores and some Wal-Mart's. Mothers is non abrasive so it won't scratch it anymore than it is now.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
John Enterline

I've got two

Post by John Enterline »

I have one from Ruskin, FLA and another from Whitehall, MI. The Ruskin one has a U.S. Pat. No. 3,102,227. And says other patents pending. The newer one from MI has no Pat, No. So I assume they made up the Pat. No. on the older one.

Both are chrome and are very similar or identical in casting. They have the same rubber on the top. The older one from FLA (assume prior to FL being used) has reflective tape running down the sides on top. It has a hand written (magic marker type) model number on it of 120. The newer one has 120 printed on the label. Both have three plugs but the older one only has amp and inst on it.

I got the older one with a 1974 Sho-Bud and it was said to be bought around the same time. I got the newer one used on ebay in the mid 2000 to go with an mint 1979 Sho-Bud I picked up. The newer one is mint, but I can't date it. I know they haven't made all chrome ones for some time. Seems when I bought it it was from the late 70s. I forget.

Love to date these things. They both work like the day they were made.
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Maybe the "73" in the serial number could be a clue. I got a second-hand nearly new 120 back in early 1977, which was polished aluminium (no chrome ever involved) with that silvery front decal and a rubber mat with longitudinal grooves on top; must have been made sometime before 1975. Mine had no visible serial number on it.
John Enterline

Post by John Enterline »

My mistake. Both of my 120s are polished aluminum. The older one has a black Goodrich sticker on the front that shows the aluminum through on the "Goodrich" name. The newer one has just a white Goodrich on the sticker. The old one has reflective tape on the sides of the top. The newer one has a boarder of aluminum around the pad. The pad on the older one covers the whole top of the `pedal except for the glitter tape part. I'll try to post pics.
John Enterline

Pics on Goodrich 120s

Post by John Enterline »