String Sets for Stage One Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve English

String Sets for Stage One Guitars

Post by Steve English »

Where do all of you Stage one owners purchase your strings from?

The factory recommended gauges are:
.013 .015 .011 .014 .017
.022w .026 .030 .034 .038

I'm not looking to deviate from these gauges. :)

Thanks
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

I ordered mine from live steel website. Just order custom E9 set. Then when you are checking out, there is a comments section. Just paste those gauges in that section and that's what they will send. I am very happy with the strings tone. Hope this helps!! :)
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

You can order them from Zumsteel or Stage one. That is a standard Zum set excpt for the 22w. Just tell them you want a 22w instead of the normal 20.

Bruce will make up anything you need.
Don Sutley

Post by Don Sutley »

Jason,

Nickel or stainless? I've got a Stage One on order and I'd like to order some strings in advance. I know that it comes with stainless strings, but I use nickel on everything else (guitars and lap steel, this is my first pedal steel).

Thanks,
Don
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

I ordered the stainless since that was what was on the guitar. But I plan on ordering some nickel the next time so I can decide which I prefer. I'm a newbie to steel so I am just going to experement until I find what I like.
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

I ordered the stainless since that was what was on the guitar. But I plan on ordering some nickel the next time so I can decide which I prefer. I'm a newbie to steel so I am just going to experiment until I find what I like.
Don Sutley

Post by Don Sutley »

Thanks, Jason.

-Don

Thanks, Jason

-Don :D
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

you can order those sets from Doug Earnest ( the builder )
He recommends a 0.22w on string 6
when i order stage Ones from him, i have Doug include 2 Xtra sets of strings
could be wrong but methinks they're GHS
you can also support the forum by purchasing yer strings there
http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Strings/

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 21 Dec 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Crowbear: I didn't see any E9 sets with the string gauges I'm needing from the Forum selection.

Jason and Don: Thanks for the suggestions, however I'm looking for more reasonably priced sets.

I did contact Doug and he responded immediately. Great customer support!

I'm somewhat surprised that there's not a set with the specified gauges available from the popular string companies.

Up until now, I've been using the BE-E9 from SIT and buying the .017, .022w from the local establishments. (I use the SIT .018 and .022p on my other guitars)

What are you other Stage One owners using? Are you using gauges other than .017(high B) and 22w(low G#)?
If so, did you have to make adjustments to compensate the differences?
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

The only string that is critical, is the .022w. Just get a 12 pack of that size, you should have no problems.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

So Bill, a .012 on top and a .018 for the B hasn't made any issues for you?

If not, your suggestion would make all things strings much easier for my needs......
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Steve, you should be able to use those sizes without having to adjust anything very much. You need to retune the pedals and levers when you change strings anyway.

I haven't used an 18 for the B personally but others do.

You may also want to see if you can get away with using a 12 for the third string. It sounds a lot better but just depending on what brand of string you use you may (or may not)get some string breakage. Keep your face away from that thing when you tune it up!!! Seriously. I just don't use them as standard equipment to take away any chance of premature breakage, as you do sometimes get a bad string.

The 22 wound tunes up better on these guitars and does take away a lot of the problem with cabinet drop, which isn't a huge problem anyway. Besides that I just don't like a 20 plain. Use of a 20 plain will require a different bellcrank hookup to keep the balance right.

GHS Stainless are standard equipment. They don't make a prepack set in the sizes I use. I believe b0b does sell some customized sets right here on the forum for a good price.

I've had several good reports on the Live Steel strings. Get a set of nickel and a set of stainless and see which you like better.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. :)
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Thanks Doug.

I'm a competent guitar tinkerer.... It's just that I've been very happy with the Stage One since I've had it, and have had to do nothing in the way of adjusting the feel/action. I didn't want to have to start tweaking too much after changing gauges and find that I've compromised the setup.

I'm happy with .011 so no need to change that. I did try .022p and am happier with the wound. I doubt if the .012 on top would affect much, but I thought the .018 might.

I don't remember ever having to tune any pulls after changing stings while staying with the same brand & gauge on my guitar. :)

Thanks for the info!
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

just put an .018 on it and very little tuning adjustment. Timing sounds great, half pedaling still feels right....
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

I bought strings for my Stage One from www.juststrings.com. They have a bulk strings department. I picked the recommended gauges. By buying them in bulk, I got a really good price. I made one change using these strings and they sound alright to me. When one plays alone in the basement, the crowd is easy to please.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Has anyone tried the John Pearce strings? They have a .13 first and a .22 sixth. Nickle and Silvered steel.
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Fred,

That's a .022 plain in that set.

Stage One recommends a wound string. My experience has shown the timing on the pulls is a little off, and the cabinet drop is increased with a plain .022.

The Stage One is a wonderfully engineered guitar, and the string gauges they recommend are obviously part of the equation.
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

I'm glad I read this all the way through. I have been using D'Addario Prosteels (ordered from Guitar Center) on my Stage One which have been fine except for the 6th string, a .20 plain. I replaced it with a .22 wound and no more trouble.
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

I still use ERNIE BALLS ..... and have ever since I bought my StageOne almost 3yrs ago
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It's an E9th tuning, why does the brand of Steel matter ?

12 or 13 for the top string is common.

20 or 22 for #6 is common.

I have a set of J Pearse on the my Steel right now...12 on top...20 plain # 6...

Standard Cobra's use a 13 on top and a 20 plain for #6

Cobra Custom uses a 12 on top and a 22 Wound for #6

George L uses a 13 on top and 20 plain for #6

I think it's all a matter of personal choice rather than brand of Steel...the string pitch is the same...

Get a few packs of singles and experiment, see what you prefer..you may not find any difference...other than you may have to tweak the pull to be in tune...

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ray Thomas

Strings

Post by Ray Thomas »

Steve, I am an authorized dealer for Livesteel Strings, I can furnish you the exact gauges you want. Check out my add below. Email at rthomas17@nc.rr.com or call at 919-920-5482
Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Tony,
Is the guitar you're referring to a Stage One?

Ray,
Thank you for your offer!

With the number of Stage One owners out there, I was mostly curious as to what others are doing in regards to strings.
Joe Glavey

Post by Joe Glavey »

Jagwire Lloyd Green for me.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Steve English wrote:Tony,
Is the guitar you're referring to a Stage One?

Ray,
Thank you for your offer!

With the number of Stage One owners out there, I was mostly curious as to what others are doing in regards to strings.

Hey Steve, No,I currently have an 04 Carter..... but I have owned , like many here, many different instruments thru the years, the strings were a constant...the guitar brands were not, Emmons,, Sho-Buds, MSA, Carters.... etc..

I's not wrong to want a specific gauge of strings..it's wrong to think YOUR steel requires a specific gauge of strings. Generally, players select a gauge for a specific reason, could be tone, life etc... E9th sets have been around a long time, some have a few gauge variants..but not because of a brand of Instrument.

The Stage One is a really fine well built Instrument but I would be in total shock if it REQUIRED a specific gauge of string at certain locations.. The tuning,the pulls and the lowers are exactly the same....

I would say get a couple of sets of brand X, also get a few spares where the gauges are different and see if you notice, hear or feel the difference...

just my take on the matter...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Robert Fleming

Stage One Strings

Post by Robert Fleming »

I have had my Stage One for over 2 years now and I have been using Jagwire Lloyd Green Artist Series and they just seem right on this guitar. They are stainless steel strings. I just never had a reason to try any other ones and don't imagine I will need to. Love this guitar!
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers