Reece C6 Workshop - Course Overview

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

HowardR

Reece C6 Workshop - Course Overview

Post by HowardR »

Well, The Reece Anderson C6 Workshop is about a month away. I am soooo looking forward to this.

Reece has been concentrating on putting together a very cohesive, thorough, & logical course program and system.
<SMALL>My goal in that one day, is to provide each one with a positive clear direction for what must be done to become the player they know they can be. I don't think anyone will leave there without knowing exactly what they must do to accomplish their goals.</SMALL>
Looks like Reece means business. I believe we're going to get a semester's worth of learnin' here.....and it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun as well.

The response so far has been very nice....and it could be even nicer, ifn' ya' know what I mean.....so those of you straddling the fence.....lean on over... Image

more course curriculum to come......
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 25 January 2006 at 05:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"I don't think anyone will leave there without knowing exactly what they must do to accomplish their goals"

I know what I need to do: the old Vulcan Mind Meld with Reece.

Can't wait.

Howard, question: I know you talked about the possibility of a session the day before for those who can't make it to the main session. What about a 2 day session for some of us..

And where are we taking Reece and Kyle for dinner and drinks? First round on me. I'm not sure Reece drinks or not, but I'll bet Kyle does!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Hi Bill,.......well, anything's possible, and there's enough flexibility in this endeavor.

There were a couple of people who volunteered for a Saturday session if the Sunday workshop was filled, but we haven't reached the "saturation point" yet.....speaking of drinks.... Image

I would imagine that if there were 5 or 6 people interested in a Saturday session, there would be no problem. I would also assume that the structure of it could also be flexible. Maybe a "prequel" to the workshop, or if it's a small group, more of a personal instruction type of thing. As it stands right now, there is time to set something like this up, if there is the interest.

I would also suggest to those who will be attending the workshop, take a look at "Reece's Writings" on the MSA site. Reece speaks about perception with regard to learning. Good Food for good thought.

Reece's Writings

Bill, no shortage of establishments in the Apple.... Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 25 January 2006 at 07:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

If we have a once in a lifetime chance of having Reece in town, I vote for a prequel to the Sunday event. I personally would like to spend as much time within Reece's glow as possible. Maybe a session dedicated to 12 string on Saturday?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Bill, I'm with ya'.......anyone else with us?

<SMALL>My teaching plan begins with perception and evolves into an organizational plan relative to interval distance which translates to mathematical formulas projected onto the fretboard.</SMALL>

I will have more info from Reece later today. He has worked out a new system for non pedal which will be unveiled (I have plenty of veiling in case Reece runs short) at the workshop. He is both pleased and excited about this system. I can't wait!

More to follow......<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 26 January 2006 at 05:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Howard, I'm curious about what amp to bring. I'm considering buying a battery powered VOX, and using headphones. But I don't want to be the only one with a rinky-dink amp if everyone else shows up with a real one. Also, some of us will have powered volume pedals, so there may be no getting around the need for lots of outlets. Will that be a problem?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Most are bringing small practice amps. You won't be in the minority.

I'm trying encourage battery power, not so much for lack of outlets, but circuits. The building is 100 years old. It's heated by steam radiators. If it's very, very cold out, electric heaters would have to be used to supplement the radiators. The circuits & breakers are 15 amp. Doesn't take much to pop them.

That's my concern. If the weather relatively reasonable, then it's not a concern.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

haul out the Microcubes folks.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

February in New Yawk - even with global warming, it'll be cold. Maybe I'll dust off my old pot pedal.

Bill, will you have that Rocky Top with you?
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

My guess is no considering Howard's power situation. I should have possention of it by end of next week though
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I would like to add that I have never seen a better teacher than Reece.

Much/most of my C6th playing was learned from him 40 years ago, A monster player on this style and he knows how to convey his thoughts very smoothly and easily.

I'm still playing things he showed me(I stole from him) when we were kids.

bobbeaux
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Bill, if you wanted to bring your new amp to demo the various steels that will be displayed, that's fine. Before, during the break, & after class would be no problem.

Actually, if push came to shove.....my other store, which is right next to where the workshop is, has 200 amp service & 3 phase electric. It was a beauty parlor at one time, so there's an abundance of electric and some beautiful plumbing (if you're into plumbing).

I could run a few 100' extensions and bring in whatever is needed......it's just much easier and less clutter if practice amps are used.

But we're covered for whatever is needed.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Here's some info.....

<SMALL>I'm going to be presenting my new SmarTab at your show, which has never before been seen. To my knowledge nothing like SmarTab has ever been done before for non-pedal steel.</SMALL>

Smartab? I hope that comes in liquid form...I don't like swallowing pills.... Image
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

I hope it's handed out in "handout" form, as my memory is not the most reliable. I WILL remember to bring a small cassette recorder & battery-powered amp. Really looking forward to this.
--Steve
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Stephan M....Each one will receive SmarTab material as part of the seminar.

I will do my very best to answer any and all questions and present a procedure which will continue to provide a positive learning direction into the future.

If you or anyone has any other questions I would be glad to respond.

I look forward to being there and meeting everyone.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The question is what happens when the SmarTab is the hands of DumBozos?

We'll see. Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

If I may.......

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Features of SmarTab:

1, It highlights the Primary Chord to be played with each measure!
2. It identifies each Substitution Chord!
3. It identifies each Passing Chord!
4. It displays the consistent application of both Passing and Substitution Chords relative to the Primary Chord!
5. It provides a summary which displays the actual number of Primary, Passing and Substitution Chords!
6. SmarTab provides a Letter to Number Chord conversion scale which allows anyone to transpose the chords of any song within seconds.</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
David Doggett

Post by David Doggett »

Reece, I am hoping it is okay for me to use my E9/B6 universal pedal steel (Zum). In learning the B6 mode I am concentrating on first learning to play it without pedals and levers. That would be the way I will use it in the workshop. I could use a loaner 8-string C6 lap steel; but it's not what I normaly play, and I would prefer to use my working guitar, which is the uni. I realize I'll be off one fret from everybody else's C6. But I think I can handle that difference. The main problem would be any lessons about playing open at the nut. I would just have to lay out and observe for that part. Also, my top three strings are the standard for uni, and will not be in your superslide tuning. Do you think this will be okay? I know I will be surrounded by no-peddlers, but I promise not to use any pedals, honest. Image (don't really know how for C6 anyway)
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

David D....The SmarTab I'm bringing will work on your Universal guitar when you lower the E's and play strings 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. The separation between strings 1 and 4 is somewhat awkward, but certainly workable.

There will also be those with 12 string lap steels, and the strings they will likely use with SmarTab is 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

I believe it would be in your best interest to bring the lap steel you have access too, although thats not what you normally play. I'm totally convinced that playing a lap steel would be an advantage because of the perception it provides, and the way the mind must engage the entire playing process.

If you have not done so, may I respectfully suggest you go to the MSA website and click on "Reece's Writings" and read my article...."Is It An Advantage" before you make your decision!

I will be great to be with you no matter which guitar you decide to bring. Just know we'll "git it done".

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Hello Reece,

I am planning on bringing my 7 string DustPan tune to C6/A7

E
C
A
G
E
C#
C

Will I be at a disadvantage, or should I have an 8 string C6?
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

HowardR....I believe you would find it to be more informative were you to have an 8 string tuned G E C A G E C A top to bottom.
However, we will certainly work with whatever you bring, and I'll discuss that which must be taken into consideration on an individual basis.

Thank you for planning to attend. Its going to be great to finally meet some people I have been seeing on the forum for a long time.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I'm going to have some interesting steels at the workshop for display and demo. One is a D8 long scale Stringmaster. One neck is tuned to C6, so I'll use that. I'll also bring the DustPan to display & demo.
David Doggett

Post by David Doggett »

Okay, so for this workshop for 8-string, Reece seems to be recommending what is sometimes called 8-string high C6?
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>G
E
C
A
G
E
C
A</pre></font>

Which is the middle 8 strings of Reece's 12-string lap tuning (as discussed previously http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/007163.html):
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>D
B
G
E
C
A
G
E
C
A
F
D</pre></font>

I'm not sure what the recommendation would be for 10-string. To have something in line with the 12-string tuning, one could take the 8-string tuning above, and add a B and D on top. Or one could take a standard 10-string C6, with G on top, and raise the bottom string to D. Or one could split the difference and take the 8-string tuning above and add a B on top and an F on bottom.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Doggett on 30 January 2006 at 06:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

Only 24 days to go, I am SO looking forward to this chance to really dig in to the C6 tuning, finally meet Reece and many other Forum friends. Thanks Howard for putting this together!

I have been practicing a lot on my SS-10 so's not to look like a total Cro-magnon when I have no pedals to rely on. Hope many of you east cost Forumers will attend.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Reece, you already correpsonded with me via email directly, but since the topic is going that way, I'd like to bring it up again.
Will I be at a huge disadvantage by bringing just my simple 6 string lapsteel tuned to C6?
Or will the seminar be geared more for 8, 10 and 12 stringers?
I can bring my standard D10 pedal steel, but would rather not as I'll be travelling by train and taxi.
Also, I get a kick out of the little lap steel and can at least play it decently.
Not so with the D10 C6 neck.