Jim Gurley co-founder and owner of DEKLEY Steel Guitars RIP

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Joe Casey

Jim Gurley co-founder and owner of DEKLEY Steel Guitars RIP

Post by Joe Casey »

I was Just informed minutes ago that Founder and owner of the Dekley Steel Guitar Jim Gurley passed last night ..Jim was residing in Jackson Tn had suffered stroke..His Son Ladd who was staying with him informed a friend who quickly relayed the message.. Jim teamed up with design engineer Bob DeKam to manufacture the DEKLEY in the 70s in Newington Conn..Jim was an accomplished musician,Singer steeler and 6 string player also..He played Steel for me on occassion..I don't have any details as of yet but will post when I do..
Last edited by Joe Casey on 20 Nov 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

Hey Joe,
I also just got the news .... You and members might want to check out this website I found
www.namm.org/library/oral-history/jim-gurley
Thanks "Fat Daddy"
RIP..
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I'm sure sorry to hear this. Smiley Roberts called to let me know this morning. I have Jim to thank for getting me into the steel guitar design and manufacturing profession through Dekley.

Thanks for the link Steve. That's how Jim looked the last time I saw him a few years ago. For as many stories as Jim told me over the years, that was one I hadn't heard before.

RIP Jim!
Jim Smith
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

I stumbled on that link by accident,, but I though it was pretty interesting ,, I also never heard that one..
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

I always looked forward to seeing Jim as well
as Bob Dekam, r.i.p. (the 'Dek' in Dekley) at
the trade shows. Both were fun to visit with.
~Russ
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

I knew Jim and Bob well and enjoyed their company on many occasions. I endorsed their guitars during part of the time I as with Dave and Sugar in the mid to late '70s. I remember Jim and his wife driving to NYC from Connecticut to see me play their D-10 while I was working the Lone Star Cafe. We had a lot of good times and many laughs together. RIP
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I met Jim and Bob Dekam in the late seventies at Blackie Taylor's music store in Garden Grove, Ca. They were in town to attend and exhibit Dekley Steel Guitars at the NAMM Show held at the Disneyland Hotel that year. The Forum's own Jim Bob Sedgwick and I were both working at Bonnie Price's Foothill Club at the time and we were both guests of Jim and Bob at the NAMM event that year. The also had their resident endorser steel guitarist Tommy Roots with them that year and we got to meet him and know him. They all came to the club on a couple of nights and Tommy sat in on steel and Jim sang with us a bit. Jim was a nice guy and it was an honor to know him.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

Here is the link for the arraingments for Jim Gurley
http://www.shackelfordfuneraldirectors. ... nt_id=9624
IF ANY ONE would like to send Ladd Gurley and his sister Dani Gurley a CARD or something, the address is 1985 Campbell Street Apt E 36, Jackson TN. 38305
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Thanks Steve,I have been searching for the arrangements and where to pay my respects...Man I didn't realize he was 80..
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Hey Joe, That ain't old. R.I.P. Jim!
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I agree Fred..Its just that I always thought Jim was younger than me.. :(
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

I only knew Jim through one business dealing at least 25 years ago. He gave me a good deal on a new 12 string and made good on his word. Prayers go out to his family. RIP Jim.
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

Sorry to hear of Jim's passing. Jim takes a lot of history with him. RIP Jim
Mark Shuda

The Man and the Product

Post by Mark Shuda »

Condolences to all those that knew Jim personally.
I owned a Dekley D-10 slimline. I sold it a friend in Ohio.
The "sound" and "precison feel,and workmanship and design " of these guitars were way ahead of their time.
Mark Twang
DeWitt Scott

Dekley

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I visited the factory where the Dekley was built and got to be good friend with Jim. We left the NAMM show in Anaheim, CA and did a trip up the West Coast promoting his guitar. We flew to San Franciso and rented a car and with our baggage and the steels we had we had to tie some things on the roof of the car. I played the Dekley for several years and always thught it was right up there with best of the other steel brands. I will miss him. Scotty