Will cheapo phone spy mics work on a dobro?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stuart Legg

Will cheapo phone spy mics work on a dobro?

Post by Stuart Legg »

I was just wondering about using some of these suction cup mics they use for recording cell phone calls for a pickup on a Dobro.
I know even this little cheap one I got from Bo that he bought from Radio Shack works on his cell phone and he used it for awhile to record his calls until he bought a better one that he now uses.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Normally those mics are magnetic... they sense the voice coil of the speaker nearby. Won't do you much good, acoustically.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

If ya want cheap, here's cheap: get a two-dollar ~> peizo buzzer from Radio Shack or wherever.
Crack open the plastic shell and secure solidly the piezo disc to the instrument.
Experiment with the discs location for optimum results.
~> Click
~Rw
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

One of the most faithful mics for dobro I've tried was a Radio Shack lavalier mic years ago for around 20.00. It had an inline battery power supply. Couldn't get much gain before feedback, but it reproduced the dobro sound quite well.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Most of these little mics are omnidirecional, they might work well to record your instrument in a quiet room.
But you can forget pretty much about using them for amplification, as they (being omnis) pick up the speaker's signal as much as the original sound and hence giving feedback easily.
If you want to amplify you dobro, you might want to try a unidirectional mic that can "look" at your instrument.

Remember, recording and PA is a different thing....
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

why is bo recording his calls? paranoia? is someone out to get him?
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Stuart why didn't you just ask the question without bringing me into it. Now I have to defend myself

No paranoia Chris and nothing bad here just good business. It is not illegal in Missouri.

I'm presently and have been for about 2yrs in an on going lawsuit so when a person calls in on my land line it automatically turns on a tape recorder. It's a little complete system I purchase from Radio Shack years ago.

But no need to worry if it is or was a personal call I delete it.

My cell phone is hooked up to record in the computer and I delete all personal calls here as well.
So there is no need to worry, no one is ever going to hear any files except my lawyer or the courts when someone is trying to defraud me.

These things have already saved me over $2,000 on a deal where they made me an offer and told me I had 10 days to look everything over and if I wasn’t satisfied they would refund my money. They tried to claim I had used the service therefore I was not due a refund.

This is what I can truthfully always say to anyone with whom I have a dispute.
“I have a recording of the conversation related to this and if you are not consistent with what I have recorded it will appear that you are trying to defraud me.” I got my money back within 3 days.

So don’t tell me on the phone you like my playing and then go tell someone I stink. Just remember I got you on record. :lol:
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

And he wonders why none of the kinfolks call even when he's sick. :lol:
Just kidding I know he tells everyone that story and that he records phone conversations. So this is not a surprise to his friends.
However! It kinda puts a new meaning to "I don't need it in writing" "I trust you" "just a handshake is good" and all that BS.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Geez who's side are you on.
If a person is honest they should have no problem with this. Why don't you get back to your dobro thing here and leave me alone? :?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

it actually sounds like a good idea, bo. about how much are those mics?
Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

How do you get the suspect to talk into your Dobro?
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Chris pictured below Radio Shack Telephone Pickup $10
Very poor output but it works if you boost the signal with the recording software. You also have to have a mic for your voice, this only picks up the incoming voice.
The simplest way would be to turn your phone on speaker and record incoming and your voice on the vocal mic. There is really no need for this cheapo pickup that doesn't work very well. Even the real expensive one I have is not as good as it should be and not even close to the one on my land line.
My land line is a totally different thing in that it records your voice and incoming on cassette from the phone line and activates when you pick up the receiver. Great quality! I bought the whole thing from Radio Shack a long time ago but I don't think anyone makes those anymore.

Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Well that cheapo doesn't work on a Dobro at all. Hope I can get my $10 back! I kept my receipt and I have a note from my dad.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Get one of those cheapo levalier-type microphones they make for hanging round the neck, and stick it to your Dobro with masking tape.

You might have to remove the glue residue on your Dobro when you remove the mike, though.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Stephen Cowell wrote:Normally those mics are magnetic... they sense the voice coil of the speaker nearby. Won't do you much good, acoustically.
You are exactly right about this Cheapo Pickup. That's the only way it will work.
Alan please don't encourage Stuart with glue or tape!