"Old dog" "New tricks"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dearl Roughton

"Old dog" "New tricks"

Post by Dearl Roughton »

Hi all. After reading a lot of post on here for two weeks I knew I had to join. I have been playing music for 32 years. Lead guitar for about 25+ years. I play country (50s,60s,70s) I bought a Shobud Maverick 3+2 a couple of months ago which I am finding it is limited but still having a blast with it. Any advice on learning material? I have already gigged with the Maverick twice. :)
Bill L. Wilson

Learning to play

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Learn all you can on that Maverick, then try to find the best guitar for you, with more knee levers. I started out on MSA semi classics, 3+ 1,played them for years, and kept graduating up till I could afford better. As far as learning materials, I didn't know anything existed for pedal steel, until I got on this forum. Look up Mickey Adams on You Tube, he knows his stuff, and he truly loves to teach. I met him at the Texas Steel Guitar Show, and he even showed me some great chords and how to use them, right there in the show. Look him up, he can help you.
Dearl Roughton

Post by Dearl Roughton »

Bill thanks for the tip. I have done some of Mickey's instruction on YouTube and he surely knows his pedal steel. This brings another question to mind. I would like to get more sustain from the Maverick. I am playing through a Fender Twin Reverb. Any suggestions?
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

More sustain from the Maverick. Hmmm -
The maverick is not a bad sounding guitar. It's the mechanics that leave something to be desired.
As you are new to it, try picking the strings harder, maybe with a thinner thumbpick & controlling your volume with the volume pedal. You also have to mute the strings behind the bar with your left hand, especially at the 12th fret and above. These are tchnique issues that just take time & practice.
You could also try a wider, heavier bar, if you can get your hands on one.
A maverick thru a twin should make a real nice sound.
Getting sustain is different than a "regular" guitar where you just basically turn it up.
Experiment with moving your right hand away from the pickup and check out how the sound changes.
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Tons and tons of music can be played on a 3+2. However, the problem is that most who teach nowadays either never had to play with less than 4 or 5 knee levers, or they've forgotten how. Don't get me wrong, these guys may play great, but they just assume that everyone out there starts with (or wants) a fully loaded guitar.

You don't need a loaded pedal steel to learn to play, anymore than you need a car with a V8 and 6-speed to learn to drive. :wink:
Carson Leighton

Post by Carson Leighton »

I agree with Donny on this one...I started out with just 3 pedals and no knee levers on a Maverick...That was around 1972..I still only use 4 on my P/P Emmons and 5 on my Carter...I'm not against anyone else having a lot of pedals and knee levers,,but I'm still finding stuff on those first 3 pedals...Cheers,,,Carson
Dearl Roughton

Post by Dearl Roughton »

Thanks for all the tips. I tried the muting behind the bar and also picking closer to the pickup and it brought out much more tone. The Shobud does sound great with the fender twin reverb.
Bill L. Wilson

More sustain.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I use a Goodrich matchbox, or a Mosfet booster, built by my good friend, Johnie Helms, to give me extra sustain through any amp I plug into. These are for sale here on the forum occasionally. Keep your eyes peeled, they sell fast, cause new ones are a little pricey.
John Alexander

Re: "Old dog" "New tricks"

Post by John Alexander »

Dearl Roughton wrote:Any advice on learning material?
Joe Wright's video seminars and webcasts (especially the webcasts on picking and blocking), available on his web site: http://www.pedalsteel.com/ashop/index.php?cat=44&shop=1

He emphasizes development of the physical skills needed to play the instrument, then integrates those with musical building blocks that you can readily use to create your own path.