Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Quentin Hickey

Cowboys and Angels, Dustin Lynch

Post by Quentin Hickey »

You wanted "real" modern country, and here it is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1GrYeIMco
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yes, I agree Quentin. This is a pretty nice tune. I like it a lot. Of course you can't please everybody and I'm no different. Not crazy about the screaming lead guitar solo. I don't know whatever happened to country lead guitar in the vein of say, Harold Bradley, Jimmie Capps, Leon Rhodes et. al. Sorry to interject the negative.

Good song though and I play along with it in practice quite a bit. There are several good new ones getting airplay and I try to keep up with them.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I like! :D
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

No problem Jerry I know what you mean. For me, this song is a roller coaster ride bringing you up to the moon and than back down to earth, kind of feels that way when listening to it. I am pretty happy with the mix and although I wish there where more steel, it has great tone.
Thereasa I though you would like this too.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Quentin,
I wonder who is playing steel? Nice tone!
I wish Gregg was playing lead guitar on it.... ;-)

p.s. I wondered what Dustin looked like ?
He reminds me of a young George Strait & that isn't bad!! :D
I think the song will be #1 next week.....
Jerry Overstreet

www.allmusic.com lists Mike Johnson for steel guitar credits on the album. A number of electric guitar players, so it's hard to say which played on this cut.

I downloaded the lyrics as I'm bad about just following the music form when playing along and just catching bits and pieces of the lyrics. It's a love song....a nice respite from tractors and pickup trucks. Good one.
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

Jerry's correct, Mike played on the whole record. Re: the solo section; if it makes it any better, I used to take the fiddle solo on steel when I gigged with DL. :). I think he's got a long career ahead of him.
Todd Brown

Post by Todd Brown »

It is a good song. My new band is getting ready to play this. Here's a link to Paul Franklin playing with him on the Opry. I think I'll be trying to steal some of Paul's licks and his touch on this one :) Notice I said I would try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XODTzC_R ... ata_player
Kevin Lichtsinn

Post by Kevin Lichtsinn »

Exellent song.....my kind of country. Thanks for posting.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Acceptable to me
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jerry Overstreet wrote: Not crazy about the screaming lead guitar solo. I don't know whatever happened to country lead guitar in the vein of say, Harold Bradley, Jimmie Capps, Leon Rhodes et. al. Sorry to interject the negative.
Music always changes, and Country music has always followed pop music fads, so guitar sounds today are not going to sound like the ones from 40+ years ago.
Just like you wouldn't expect Harold Bradley & Leon Rhodes to play and sound like Roy Harvey & Riley Puckett did 40+ years before them.
Jerry Overstreet

Far as I know, the guys I referenced are still playing guitar in country music. I saw Leon in Nashville just a month or so ago.

I hesitated to mention my distaste with the guitar solo and even apologized to Quentin in advance for it, but it's the way I feel.

It's a very good song and I like it a lot. With all due respect to the musician who played it, I just don't think the guitar solo in this song fits, that's all.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Far as I know, the guys I referenced are still playing guitar in country music. I saw Leon in Nashville just a month or so ago.

I hesitated to mention my distaste with the guitar solo and even apologized to Quentin in advance for it, but it's the way I feel.

It's a very good song and I like it a lot. With all due respect to the musician who played it, I just don't think the guitar solo in this song fits, that's all.
I don't have a problem with some "screaming" guitar solos, but I just listened to the song again and kind of agree. It has that nice tremolo guitar going through the song, that kind of sets a nice vibe, then the solo sounds a little out of place compared to whats going on musically and lyrically in the song.