Need some quick help on chords

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jana Lockaby

Need some quick help on chords

Post by Jana Lockaby »

On reso open G tuning how can I get a 6 chord (like D6) and 9th chord? thanks.
L. Bogue Sandberg

Post by L. Bogue Sandberg »

Jana,

Go to John Ely's web site:

http://hawaiiansteel.com/chordlocator/generic.php

Select Dobro tuning and have at it. It takes a split or reverse slant to get three note versions of a 6th or 9th chord with standard open G tuning.

Bogue
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Chords on a Dobro often have to be suggested with one or two notes, with other instruments like the bass filling the missing pieces. A 6th chord can be suggested by playing the top two strings with a straight bar or the 5th and 1st string
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Thanks. I figured the 6th out, I think. I only need two notes, so just to verify, and make sure I know what a 6th really is:
notes would be C E G A

first and second sstrings straight bar, for example C6 at 10th fret. Also, C6 backwards slant strings 2 and 3 first and second frets?

What is a "split slant"? Thanks.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Jerry Byrd could do a split slant.
That's where you use the nose of the bar to fret strings l & 2 (on the same fret) and use the butt end to pick a note on a lower fret.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Don't think I'll be attempting a split slant anytime soon. Anyone want to vollenteer to show me that one in Dallas at the TSGA Jamboree? I'm going to be asking. lol

Question on a 9th chord: Just need two notes, so if a C9 is C E G B D (I googled) can I use any two notes of that combination to get a 9th? If so, that gives a heck of a lot of options. Thanks. I apprreciate the help you guys.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I believe the B should be flatted.
Sometimes I substitute a G minor chord for a C9th, depending on what notes you are needing.
Iestyn Lewis

Post by Iestyn Lewis »

If you play any two notes, they will not sound "bad", but they might suggest other chords.

It depends on what you want to emphasize. All of those notes:

C E G Bb D

are in a C9. When trimming down chords, I use this strategy:

- You can always leave out the 5th (G). The 5th "thickens" the sound but doesn't really contribute to the tonality of the chord.
- If playing along with other instruments like bass, or playing a melody line, you can probably leave out the root (C) and assume it will be filled in. If not, I will try to leave the root in.
- If you want to emphasize the major/minor nature of the chord, leave in the 3rd (E).
- If you leave out 9 (D), it's not a 9th chord anymore.
- If you leave out 7 (Bb), I find it has a "poppier" sound, as opposed to a "jazzier" sound if you leave the 7th in.

Possibilities for a 2-note C9 in open G tuning (with no slants) are:

Strings 1 + (3 or 6) open - D and G (9th and 5th)
Strings 2 + (3 or 6) 3rd fret - D and Bb (9th and 7th)

Unless you are playing a melody that has the 9 (D) as the melody note, you can usually substitute a 7th chord for any 9th chord.

For a 7th chord, you can do:
Strings 1 + (2 or 5) 8th fret - Bb and G (7th and 5th)

Unless you are playing a melody that has the 7 (Bb) as a melody note, you can further substitute a plain major chord for the 7th chord or 9th chord. This will lose the "edge" from the chord, but will work fine if you are playing backup or following a chord chart.

Obviously if you start using slants or different tunings, the possibilities expand greatly.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you take the 3th, 5th and 7th tone, you have an E diminished chord, sometimes that can be substituted for a C9th, also. :D
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Thanks everyone for the help.
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

D6 on dobro, G tuning? Bar the 7th fret of the bottom 4 strings and leave the top two strings, B and D open. Example,0:23 of my Panhandle Rag video. Also the last chord at 1:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lAcSKJjqQ
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

To my ear, the best 2-note substitute for a dominant ninth would be the b7 and the 9 intervals, i.e. for C9, play Bb and D as a major third interval-- in dobro tuning, find it on strings 6 and 5, or strings 3 and 2....look 2 frets down (or 10 frets up) from your C major chord.

For a 2 notes to represent a major 9th chord, I'd go with the major 7 and the 9-- so for Cmaj9, play B and D together-- find 'em on strings 5 and 4, or strings 2 and 1....look 5 frets down (or 7 frets up).

As long as you're playing melody, and not a backup part, you should be fine.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Perfect. Thanks you guys.