Instruments For Our Troops

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Lawrence Sullivan

Instruments For Our Troops

Post by Lawrence Sullivan »

I just got this in an email today about Charlie Daniels and several instrument manufacturers donating and shipping musical instruments to our troops in the mid east.I think this is fantastic and wonder why I have not seen any mention of it in the main news media Here is a link to the article in the Army Times, Hope it works http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1372160.php
Larry
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

Larry,
That's a great article. Thanks.
I am impressed by the fact that Gibson was so generous, sending 100 guitars plus accessories.
Hooray for them!

Blake
Tommy Mark

Post by Tommy Mark »

What a great idea. I1l bet theres a ton of good players that dont have their axes or any other musical outlet. Thanks for the link Lawrence. Tom
JW Day

Post by JW Day »

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE WE ALL OUGHT TO REMEMBER THIS WHEN WE AS FORUM MEMBERS BUY NEW EQUIPMENT I WAS STATIONED OVER SEAS FOR 30 MONTHS, SO I KNOW HOW IT IS TO BE WITHOUT YOUR AXE
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

This is so great to hear FINALLY! Music is a great outlet and by sending these instruments - well, let's just say it is a way for our soldiers to be a little bit of themselves for a while. Way to go CD & Gibson.

Miss Lana
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I did see this reported on TV, just don't remember which news outlet. I think it's great.

------------------
Sho-Bud PRO-I, 4&5
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I have a student/friend named Craig Showman, who is a serviceman currently stationed in Iraq. He's a good guy who loves country music and steel guitar. He gets free lessons from me, when he's around, because of the service he gladly and willingly gives to our country.

Jim Flynn, of Lone Star steel guitar fame, recently sent Craig one of his "Skeleton Steels," and Craig sent me some photos. I don't know if this is the only pedal steel in Iraq, but country music IS being represented there amongst our troops. I applaud Craig and Jim for their efforts in this troublesome time we find ourselves.

And I pray for Craig's safe return, as I do for ALL our fighting men who find themselves in Harm's Way and wish they were in more pleasant surroundings, yet soldier on...

Check out that "steely-eyed" look on Craig's face. I'm glad he's my buddy! Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 26 November 2005 at 09:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

Kudos to you and Jim Flynn, Herb...can't think of a better way to make things easier on our dedicated service men and women, and as we all know very well, music is the universal language that breaks away even the 'hardest' of barriers between people; let's support all the efforts made in that direction. It shows us to be a force for humanity, and not just for invasion and occupation, as the news media twists and tweaks it...more often than otherwise. Play-on! ~JZ~<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Zimmerman on 29 November 2005 at 10:36 AM.]</p></FONT>