Peavey Session Service: go-local or ship?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eugene Cole

Peavey Session Service: go-local or ship?

Post by Eugene Cole »

I have a Session 500 which now has distortion issues when played even slightly loud.

I am trying to determine if I can find a local Tech to get it in good working order or if I should ship the unit or a sub-assembly to someone (perhaps Peavey) to get it in good working order.

I have no idea whom in the greater DC area (like: "Chuck levins" or "Billy Coopers") could get this thing dialed in. I am ISO suggestions.

I also have no idea whom I might ship it to that would get this thing working well again. I am ISO suggestions on this too.

I used to love this amp. However the cost of shipping versus the cost of a good (working) replacement comes in to play. I do not want to drop $200 on shipping and another $250-plus on parts and labor to end up with a now-spare $250 amp.

And I truly do not want to drop $250-plus on shipping, service, and parts and not be happy with the results. I am thinking that removing shipping and using a local Tech would have some merit (to reduce total cost).

So what are your thoughts and suggestions?
Regards
-- Eugene <sup>at</sup> FJ45.com

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Based on my past experiences with the local techs plus those of my friends and acquaintances, I would recommend sending it to the Peavey folks in Meridian. You can remove the amp chassis and just send that to them.

If you have a thorough and experienced electronics trouble shooter/repair person locally that you have confidence in, maybe.

In my experience, it takes less time, less money, less frustration to just send it to Peavey to start with. They will get it right the first time. Maybe email Mike Brown in advance to let him know it's coming.

First though, you need to eliminate the speaker as being the problem. If you have another speaker you can sub for testing, that would be the first step.

It could be something as simple as foam deterioration and debris in the speaker mag/voice coil gap that you can service yourself.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I have had great luck sending my Peavey gear back to the factory to be fixed.
Bob
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Try another speaker before you ship it out!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I just received my Session 400 head back from the Peavey factory. They charged $64.69 for the repair, and $20.85 for the return shipping via UPS ground. They even threw in one original style knob to match the rest of the knobs. The amp sounds great.

I certainly couldn't get anyone in my state to do the repair for that price.

SEND IT TO PEAVEY!!!

PS: The local UPS store charged me over $50 to send the amp head to Peavey. UPS is a total rip-off if you don't have a commercial account. Next time I'll probably try USPS parcel post.
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Based on my past experiences.... I would recommend sending it to the Peavey folks in Meridian. You can remove the amp chassis and just send that to them.

In my experience, it takes less time, less money, less frustration to just send it to Peavey to start with. They will get it right the first time. Maybe email Mike Brown in advance to let him know it's coming.

First though, you need to eliminate the speaker as being the problem. If you have another speaker you can sub for testing, that would be the first step.
Yes I have long since checked the speaker. It is not the culprit. This amp sounds similarly bad when connected to my Bassman cabinet and the speaker in my Combo 300.

Consensus says ship it to Peavey.

I have 2 HF radios getting serviced right now and until I get the bill paid for them and get reimbursed for the second radio (which is not mine and will act as collateral until I am reimbursed) I will have to hold off on shipping it.

So any tips on packing the session 500 electronics sub-assembly(ies) which you may have would be welcomed.
Regards

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Ken Fox has a good description of how to package a Peavey head for shipment. Check Fox Vintage Amps website.

You will be shipping a broken head so I wouldn't insure it, or get overly obsessed with the packing. Just use common sense. For instance, wrinkled-up newspapers won't cut to prevent excessive movement of the head in the box.

You will get the head returned in a new Peavey shipping box. Another little bonus from a great company.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

With the power amp being on a different board on the 500, I'd make sure whether the power amp is introducing the distortion or whether the preamp is (You're smart, I know you'll know how to do that step).
With the power amp being on the same slab as the power supply and that heavy transformer, hope the problem lies on the head. A lot lighter.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Lane Gray wrote:With the power amp being on a different board on the 500, I'd make sure whether the power amp is introducing the distortion or whether the preamp is.
Yeah I will double-check the power amp before I ship anything. As I recall there is a Post-In in addition to the XLR Pre-Out.

Actually the best sounding amp rig I ever had was a borrows T.C. Electronics Pre-Amp run in to a Rane EQ in to the Hafler DH-500 which was feeding my HiFi speakers at home. There was NO audible distortion with that setup at any time. On the other hand it did not cover up any errors the way a long line of stomp boxes does.

Lane Gray wrote:(You're smart, I know you'll know how to do that step).
No that was the younger me....
Regards

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

In that case, run the output of the preamp into an amplifier you know is good. If it sounds good, the power amp needs to go to go to Mississippi, and it sounds like crap, the preamp it gets to make the trip
Jerry Overstreet

Your shower, your soap and NOMB, but the Session 500 is decades old. If you're sending it out, it just makes good sense to send the complete chassis and let Peavey check out all the electronics. Why take a chance?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

You're right, Jerry, except that the 500 basically has two chassis; the preamp upstairs and the power amp and power supply on that big plate, And packaging them together in 1 shipping box sounds awkward. and it sounds like Eugene wanted to save money on the shipping.
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Lane Gray wrote:In that case, run the output of the preamp into an amplifier you know is good. If it sounds good, the power amp needs to go to go to Mississippi, and it sounds like crap, the preamp it gets to make the trip
Exactly.
Jerry Overstreet wrote:Your shower, your soap and NOMB, but the Session 500 is decades old. If you're sending it out, it just makes good sense to send the complete chassis and let Peavey check out all the electronics. Why take a chance?
This is something that I pondered too. It is pretty straight forward to diagnose whether the power-amp or the pre-amp is the problematic subassembly.

I am used to old amps. The oldest amp I use is from 1938 and the newest is an early 90's vintage Fender that was lousy from day one.
Regards

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Jerry Overstreet

I see. Yes, I know how heavy they are. Hope you get it working properly soon.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

There were two different Session 500 amps. The early one was two separate chassis as stated. They used the 400BH power amp module (similar to the one used on some of the PA systems)and a separate preamp module. The later amps were all on one chassis, like the Nashville 400 amps.
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Ken Fox wrote:There were two different Session 500 amps. The early one was two separate chassis as stated. They used the 400BH power amp module (similar to the one used on some of the PA systems)and a separate preamp module. The later amps were all on one chassis, like the Nashville 400 amps.
Thanks Ken. I have the early style.
Regards

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Johnny Thomasson

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Ken Fox wrote:There were two different Session 500 amps. The early one was two separate chassis as stated. They used the 400BH power amp module (similar to the one used on some of the PA systems)and a separate preamp module. The later amps were all on one chassis, like the Nashville 400 amps.
Which one is the better amp, or is there a difference? One of these days I'm going to get a Session 500 to use here at home.
Johnny Thomasson