Hey, Hey, Hey...Look What I Found

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Robin Archer

Hey, Hey, Hey...Look What I Found

Post by Robin Archer »

Ran across these while going through a box from my former life.

That's a Gibson Electra Harp; four pedals, 8 string, C6th
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I played at the 1980 show in Meriden CT. Seems like a lifetime ago. I had that button for a long time, but I have no idea what happened to it. Thanks for the memory...!
Robin Archer

Post by Robin Archer »

I seem to remember a fellow named Harry Guffy who either arranged the show or was very involved with it.
He even had a demo with Master Showman Jeff Newman at he store in (?).
Jeff did his Paycheck/Donnie Lytle classic "Someone To Give My Love To". I couldn't come up with the money to buy anything but my mouth fell open. Probably still up there on the floor.
I used to know a gentleman by the name of Tom Reiley who played a pretty mean steel from somewhere up in CN.
Have you ever run across him?
That's a Gibson Electra Harp; four pedals, 8 string, C6th
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, Harry Guffee put the show on. He owned a store called Steel Guitar Country in Meriden CT (later moved to NY). He had a lot of pedal steels in stock... It was an amazing place. I bought a new Emmons D-10 from him in 1979. The price was $1400 at that time!

I remember a Tom Riley from CT, but I haven't heard that name in a long time. I'm not really in the CT loop anymore though. I do remember Buddy Charleton played on the 1980 show, and Terry Sutton from CT. Jeff Newman too. It's hard to remember after 32 years... ;-)
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Tom Riley is still around. I think he is playing mostly lap steel. He was building resonator guitars for awhile. He also has a few CD's out. I usually bump into him at the PSGA Show in November. He had a spot on the show a few years ago. I played bass and guitar with him about 30 years ago and he was a monster pedal steel player.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.