Randle Currie Copedent question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nathan Powell

Randle Currie Copedent question

Post by Nathan Powell »

So, I have looked and can't find it... I have been trying to work through a few of his licks and have hit a wall. When trying to play the lick at 3:31-3:32 in Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHnQtY1bg4

and the lick from 3:57-3:59 in One of those Lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR4qObRUNVo

it seems like his string raise for 1 and 2 have to be on a knee lever because they are still ringing when the 3rd string is being raised and then released. Is this right?
If not, how would you play those licks without it? I currently have my 1 and 2 raise on my 0 pedal, so I would have to have some fancy footwork to pull it off...

thoughts?
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Nathan personally I think the 1st and 2nd raises are more useful on a knee lever, I also raise the 7th F# to G# as well on the same knee !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

I think Randle has the same setup as PF, so his 1,2,&7 raise is probably on RKR.
Keith Currie

Post by Keith Currie »

Randles set up is different on all of his steels, but yes he does raise his 1st and 2st and 7th string on a knee.
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Thanks! Now I don't think I'm crazy :lol:
Keith Currie

Post by Keith Currie »

Nathan I doubt your crazy but to make that lick sound right you might need to be under water !!!!
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Hi Hi Keith ;-)

Nathan, you need to raise the first string a while tone and use the B pedal on the third string to get that half tone note above. Its males a pretty sound. I did that whole water solo on youtube but I am not happy with it so I'll re do it this weekend and post the link for you man,
Quentin
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Keith, maybe I'll try that... seemed to work for Randle :lol:

Quentin, I'll be on the lookout for it!
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Nathan Powell wrote:Keith, maybe I'll try that... seemed to work for Randle :lol:

Quentin, I'll be on the lookout for it!
OK Nathan, here ya go as promised man,

But no LOL ing at me,
I'm still a rookie. :lol:
Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ__TpZUEe0&feature=plcp[url]
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Nathan, there's always the Newman/Green method. if you need to raise those strings and use the B pedal, choke the 1st and 2nd string with your ring finger.
that's 1 of the compromises of putting that change on pedal 0
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

Lane Gray wrote:Nathan, there's always the Newman/Green method. if you need to raise those strings and use the B pedal, choke the 1st and 2nd string with your ring finger.
that's 1 of the compromises of putting that change on pedal 0
I am sure there are some neat things you can do with sting 1 and 2 raise on pedal 0 but here are some beatiful chimey tones you can benefit from by have string 1,2 and 7 all on one knee lever, ( mine is on ny RKR) although what Lane described will get you in the ball park you wont get the same feel at all, I would NEVER give up the knee lever 8). People change their copedant around all the time to suit the type of licks they want to play so dont be scare to re rod that guitar of youres if you outgrown youre current setup. THats what I would do Natthan.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

True. But the guy who sold him the guitar loves raising 1 to G and lowering 6 to F#.
If I wanted that change on a knee, I would have to cluster.
OTOH, if anybody wants to cluster a LKR on an MSA classic, a Zumsteel LKR lever and bracket is a perfect solution. $35, the reverser is part of the bracket and it doesn't need to be on the rear rail ( for that matter, it would also work for a C 6 neck LKR)
Nathan Powell

Post by Nathan Powell »

Thanks for the input!

Lane: What do you mean by "choking" the strings. Not sure I follow... Also, what do you mean about creating a cluster? I just don't want a cluster duck, if you know what I mean :lol:

Quentin: Thanks for sharing the video.... Loved it! Those 2 sets of fast licks (in the middle and at the end) intimidate the hell out of me!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

By "Choking," I mean using the ring finger of the bar hand (behind the bar) to pull the first string back towards the 3rd string. You can reach G#, with the 2nd string usually pulled to E at the same time. I will try to shoot a video on Sunday.
To those who say it won't get the same results as a lever, I say it moves as fast as a pedal.

"Clustered levers" ( also called a "Crawford cluster" for the late Jimmy Crawford) is where you have to leavers that move the same direction on the same knee, one inside of the other. While you can find pictures, they usually don't show the feature well.
googling found this picture (to confuse things, astronomer Caroline Crawford has discovered some galaxy clusters: not sure which was inside or outside)
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/005371.html