Losing your Hearing or Losing Tone? Check your pickup!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Munson

Losing your Hearing or Losing Tone? Check your pickup!

Post by David Munson »

A few years back I decided to find a new guitar and a lighter amp. The old one was Uni 12 Excel and amp was a Nashville 400 with a 15" JBL Fender 4 ohm recently re-coned. Great tone and full of low end but I felt the Nashville 400 handle was going to fail every time I went up or down the stairs.

Bought a new Excel and a couple of Nashville 112's

They started out OK but I was missing the bottom end so I bought some fox kits, no improvement at all..

For the past few years I have been looking for the ultimate amp to bring back the bottom.

Finally found a mint 1967 Fender Dual Showman. Hauled it back from North Dakota and had the amp head gone over just to be sure.

When I plugged in the Excel I was convinced that my hearing was either gone or my memory of the Showman had been exaggerated in my mind since the 60’s

Went to bed really disappointed and I woke up about 3 am wondering if the pickup was weak or had a short. Sure enough the meter said 14K. Image
I called Dewitt at Scotty’s and he said it was possible the magnets had lost some strength. Lucky for me he had a rewound pickup in the store that measured 18.5K

:D Two days later, pickup installed, the full tone is back, my hearing is fine and the “Dual Showman” is King!

Now I just need to get my wife to help carry it.

David Munson
St. Louis

Last edited by David Munson on 10 Jul 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that amp looks a lot lighter!