Deep Water on the Mullen

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Rafferty

Deep Water on the Mullen

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Finally getting my eyes to focus on the strings (after 4 operations). Here a little improv on a great ole song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOSxakWr ... e=youtu.be
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Larry Edwards

Post by Larry Edwards »

hey larry nice job . what are you using for effects and amp. looks like an old vegas to me . there a nice amp i had a couple of them at one time i wished i kept them.
I have 2 pedalmaster steels dbl 10
with 8 pedals and 5 knees.and a dbl body single neck with 3 pedals and 5 knees. I play a vegas 400 and I have a new steelking. I am a leftie.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Sounds good, Larry. Great tone, nice looking Mullen. And that backing track sounds very familiar! 8) Keep up the great work.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Larry good job! You know, that's the mellowest Mullen I have heard . To me they have a sharp edge to them, but yours has that edge taken off. Good tone!
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.
Larry Edwards...Yes, I am using one of the Peavey Vegas 400's...it's my favorite of the steel amps. I run George L cables from the Mullen p/u into a Sarno Freeloader, then to a Hilton VP, to a Boss DD3 and thru (just a touch) a Boss Super Chorus before the amp input. I also use Jagwire S/ST strings.
Doug Beaumier...
Yes, that is your C6 backing track for Deep Water. I should have given you credit when I posted. For the 1st 6 months of this year I could not read any tab or music due to my recent eye operations...everything I saw was doubled...instead of 20 strings on my guitar, when I looked down I would see 40 strings. I was just winging it by ear on E9 and my wife taped it and put it on youtube. I enjoy all 50 of the backing tracks I purchased from you as they are easy to follow and make playing fun. You have been one of my steel guitar favorites for a very long time.
Bent Romnes... I bought this pre RP Mullen from Mickey Adams 3 years ago. He told me it had a soft smooth tone and would play like butter. He was right on both counts.
Special thanks to Larry Edwards for all his help. He has been at my home nearly every week for the past 6 months encouraging me to keep playing and stick with it.
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Larry...awesome awesome job!....That was one of the first Mullen guitars i purchased to overhaul...She was a dirty girl when I got her, and she was practically a new jewel when she was finished...I am so happy that she has served you well...It gives me great pride to hear you play!!!....
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!