Marlen D-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Edgar Scudder

Marlen D-10

Post by Edgar Scudder »

Looking for barnyard appraisal for my '72 Marlen D-10, red lacquer, excellent condition, 8 pedals, no levers, good case, no problems. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

My guess would be $500-$800. It's likely a pull-release (one piece finger) model, which kinda puts it's desirability below most other guitars of that period, and also makes it rather unsuitable for beginners, IMHO.

These are often pretty guitars, but with old style mechanics and little cachet these days. The "no knee lever" aspect would likely turn off 90% of prospective buyers.

However, if it is an all-pull model, or has been converted to one, the value might go up a hundred or two. Then, at least, an upgrade would be practical.
Glenn Uhler

Marlen Value

Post by Glenn Uhler »

I think Donny might be a little low on the price, since these guitars have great tone, and knee levers (both NOS and replacements) and most parts are available to update it. Getting someone to work on it will be a bigger problem. Most of the guys here in the NE who work on PSG say they are too busy to take on more work.
1974 Marlen S-12 1968 Tele 1969 Martin D-35H
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I don't think so. I think that's about right. 4 new knee levers at $125.00 each installed at a minimum is $500.00. Consider 2 way shipping and time for other work that the guitar needs and that's about what a pull and release guitar is worth with no knee levers. It's probably only single raise/lower also.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Kevin, pull-release guitars can handle intermediate raises and lowers; it just requires barrels and tuning changes under the guitar for raises (my pull-release Marlen had D#, E, F and F# on the 4th string). I don't recall how intermediate lowers work.
If the guitar had 4 or more knee levers, it should be worth as much as an MSA or Dekley,
but it's only fair devaluing it by the amount it would take to bring it up to par.

I think Kevin's a bit low on the price of installed knees: $125 sounds like the cost of the kit itself, especially since some will require tuning barrels.

And I kinda think that, if it's setup properly before the hypothetical n00b gets it, a pull-release is fine for anybody, including beginners. They just need to be taught how to tune it.
But with no knees? Beginners should RUN.

I'd find a pull-release mechanic and add 4 knees.
A D-10 Marlen 8&4 in the condition you described should be in the neighborhood of 1800, while at 8&0 it's unsalable except as a project guitar.
JMO
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects