Help with Hard Drive

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Gary Moore

Help with Hard Drive

Post by Gary Moore »

I added 1tb to my pc trying to have more space sys is xp, i wont to keep my c drive an the new Hd but i can not get the comp to recoz the new Hd any Help Thanks.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Have you formatted the new drive and assigned it a drive letter, using Computer Management Console > Disk Management?
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

thanks its not in there i can't fine the new HD I search with the wiz, it can't fine it, i also un plug the New HD and re plug it up to see if it would show up any where so far no luck .
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Please tell me the year, make and model of the motherboard and its BIOS (get this info from 1st start up screen, using Pause button).

Since most hard drives sold today, especially large disks like yours are SATA 3.0, have you connected it to a secondary SATA port and hooked up the SATA power connector correctly? Make sure both connectors are in firmly on both ends.

Some older motherboards and BIOSes cannot recognize a 1 TB hard drive.
Security Consultant
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

Thanks Wiz I had it buit by Dell Year 2007 Model xps 410, i added a ex usb HD 500 gb it pull it right up,
I Checked the plugins on the cable's its all pluged in.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Something else must be wrong. Can you try installing the disk into another PC, as a slave drive? Or, is there a computer shop near you? You might have bought a dead drive. Or, the one of the cables you are using to connect it may be bad.

If you take it to a shop and they get it recognized, ask them to format it NTFS so you can use it without any further jumping through hoops.
Security Consultant
Jos Roderkerken

Post by Jos Roderkerken »

some older models wont accept anything bigger then 500 gigs so a bios update could be the awnser.

Also Windows xp really dislikes hdd's that are bigger then 700 gigs so if you want the thing to work properly, you need more partitions. thats one thing to keep in mind if you dont want to bump into blue screens and lost data files.
Why are you playing an ironingboard??

rriigghhtt
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Jos Roderkerken wrote:some older models wont accept anything bigger then 500 gigs so a bios update could be the awnser.

Also Windows xp really dislikes hdd's that are bigger then 700 gigs so if you want the thing to work properly, you need more partitions. thats one thing to keep in mind if you dont want to bump into blue screens and lost data files.
I also suspect that the BIOS may need to be flashed to the newest version to see a 1TB disk.

However, partitioning the hard drive would have to be done by somebody else, because the OP's computer doesn't recognize the 1 TB drive at all. Hence, it cannot be partitioned from within his installation of Windows.

We haven't been told anything about the 1 TB disk. Where was it purchased? was it brand new, or refurbished, or used and sold privately? If the latter, it could have a non-standard MBR, or even one containing a Bootkit, displacing the factory boot sector. This could render it invisible to the BIOS on another machine.
Security Consultant
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

Thanks for the info, I got the HD from dell it is new & it is a Western Digital 7200 rpm i talked to dell before i bought it, they know the comp when u give them your code # they said it would work but u know how that is so far i can't get it to show up i will take it to the shop & see what they say thanks.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I have an XP Dell 8300 at least 10 yrs old.
I have a 1 TB hard drive-no problem.

A hard drive I bought at Best Buy.
heavily medicated for your safety
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

I Got it install thanks for all the help I when into the Bios & fixed the problem.
Last edited by Gary Moore on 8 May 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

That's good news Gary. Glad we were able to help.
Security Consultant