1963 Marlen?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Olie Eshleman

1963 Marlen?

Post by Olie Eshleman »

A friend of mine called me today asking advice about this 1963 marlen:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2980048170.html

Pictures are pretty bad. He is contemplating trading a sort of frankenstieny 70's silver-face bassman modded by Dr. Z himself. He was asking $900 for the amp. Do you think this PSG is worth that much or more?
Can't tell if it has any knees. I'm not even sure what the mechanics of a Marlen this old might be. Any more info you might have about this much appreciated.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Early Marlens (back in the '60s) were usually nice looking but very poorly made instruments. These were all single raise/lower guitars with little in the way of precise machining and fitting. Most also have serious cosmetic issues with rusted and pitted parts, and a general "cobbled together" appearance. Few had more than one or two knee levers

Unless it's been completely refurbed or upgraded somewhere along the line, chances are good it's a pretty sad and useless instrument. :\

And yes, I do own one. :cry:
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Not to contradict a really knowledgeable guy who I respect a bunch, but wouldn't that old be pull-release?
That's not single raise, single lower: intermediate raises and lowers just require barrels on the rods.
First guitar I owned was a pull-release Marlen 3&4. Great tone. I completely agree with the assessment of the build quality. I only sold it to buy my Emmons D-10.
Len definitely put more care into the top side than the underside. The underside looked like Characitus Potts (if you've forgotten Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, that's not my fault) and Doc Brown (that's Back to the Future, not from the Hank Snow song) assembled it over a mess of cocktails during a poker game.

Looked at that ad: What's with the FrankenPickup?
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

It looks like a single neck version of my Marlen, with the same type of endplate and nameplate design.

Mine was a double neck, 6 pedals and no knee levers, and needed a small amount of modification to make the playing action more precise, and to stabilise the tuning.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yes Lane, the old ones were all pull/release design (a one-piece finger), and they could be modified to add more capability. But in '63, the Marlens didn't come with barrel tuners, and so they had to be added afterwards. Heck, I can even add barrel tuners and some bellcranks (reversing levers) to a Red Baron or Maverick and make it triple raise/lower! So can any other competent tech, but that stuff is normally out of the range of most players.

Personally, although many players simply accept them, I don't like barrel tuners, and consider them an ersatz accommodation. I also don't consider the single finger pull/release design to be any different than the single finger Maverick and 'Baron actions, except that it doesn't require bellcranks for the lowers.

Sure, a Richard Burton or Ricky Davis could make a '63 Marlen a nice, capable axe...but they weren't built that way to start.

Caveat emptor
Richard Rice

Post by Richard Rice »

From my very limited experience with PSG's, and even further limited experience/research on Marlens, I would strongly advise against that trade.

My '84 Marlen is a nice instrument, but Mr. Stadler had 20 years' building experience over a '63. In all honesty, if your friend is wanting to learn PSG he would do better getting a used student model of much newer manufacture. A mediocre or poor instrument is an additional hurdle, often insurmountable by a beginner- leading to frustration and eventual failure. For a few extra bux he could get a Sierra Artist with 3+4 that works right and matches the currently available instructional materials.

I tried to learn on several inferior/broken/worn out steels, with lots of motivation, mechanical abilities, etc... bad idea. To not know where the machine's problems begin as opposed to personal limitations is a common problem. Trying to play a guitar that won't play properly when you don't know what the problem is can be a source of extreme aggravation. Lack of instructional materials for a particular machine compound the problem. In your friend's shoes, I would sell the amp, add a modest amount of cash, and get a nice student model from a known member here on the Forum.
'84 Marlen Custom D-10, 8X4
Oahu Tonemaster 6 string lap steel
Rice Custom 6 string lap steel
Republic Squareneck Tricone
Homebrew 6 string reso
10 string Melobar- Rice modified
Rice Custom 8 string reso (under construction)
Hohner 6 string lap guitar (acoustic)
Kustom K-500 tuck & roll
Peavey Century
Peavey Vegas 400
Peavey CS-800
Bag End custom 1X12 & 1X15 cabs w.EV drivers
Steelin' thru a '72 Vibrosonic Reverb and a '69 Dual Showman Reverb (Stereo)
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Why the dislike of barrels?
It wouldn't surprise me if I end up needing some under my MSA, as I think one or two strings may exceed what I can do with pull-shifting gizmos.

EDIT: Richard speaks good stuff.
Ron Beck

Post by Ron Beck »

stay away from junk if you are learning to play! The pull release is a joke !
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Listen to what Mr. Rice said.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

......but Marlens usually sound great, probably because of that rudimentary single finger changer.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Totally. And, like the nearly equally rudimentary push-pull, if properly set up and adjusted, will play great.
Of course the odds of THAT guitar meeting those criteria would qualify as a longshot.
And if it needs knees? Yeeah.

Newbs should run like hell.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Bert Rivera with an early 60's Marlen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9y1v0fxPE
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Dig the barrel he's sitting on.
Richard Rice

Post by Richard Rice »

I liked the whole thing. ;) Think I'll share it on my FB page.. Thanks for posting it!
'84 Marlen Custom D-10, 8X4
Oahu Tonemaster 6 string lap steel
Rice Custom 6 string lap steel
Republic Squareneck Tricone
Homebrew 6 string reso
10 string Melobar- Rice modified
Rice Custom 8 string reso (under construction)
Hohner 6 string lap guitar (acoustic)
Kustom K-500 tuck & roll
Peavey Century
Peavey Vegas 400
Peavey CS-800
Bag End custom 1X12 & 1X15 cabs w.EV drivers
Steelin' thru a '72 Vibrosonic Reverb and a '69 Dual Showman Reverb (Stereo)