New to lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Liam Rogers

New to lap steel

Post by Liam Rogers »

Well, I might at some point in the near future be delving into the world of electric lap steel (8 string).

I have been playing dobro for going on 7 years so I am looking forward to something different.

If it isn't for me, I will still pursue electric steel guitar, but of the six string open chord variety.

Some of you will know me from Resonation or elsewhere, others won't so, I guess this my introduction to you all!

Cheers
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

Liam, go with the 8 string, in the future it will allow you to expand your ability, and when you need it, it will be there for you. I started on a 6 string, back when Lassie was a pup. But when I got my 8 strig it just oppened up possibilitiey, not enjoyed before.

Melbert 8
Peavey 110
Goodrich pedal
Liam Rogers

Post by Liam Rogers »

Well, there is a possibility I might be inheriting a few lap steels, including a fairly nice 8 string.

I wonder, what variety of C6 would be easiest for a G tuning dobroist to adapt to?
Liam Rogers

Post by Liam Rogers »

Also, any recommendations on instructional material?
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

I would suggest that you start a new topic rquesting help or suggestions about what tuning to use. like " 8 string Lap Steel C6th or E7th or E9th Tuning" something like that. You will get a response. Mike Neer in New York will help you. Also Steve Ahola from Concord California. Check some of the topics under [STEEL'S WITH OUT PEDAL's] You will find their comments there and a way to make contact with them.

I play an 8 string and use a modified 'E' Tuning. Bottom to Top [ E G# B C# E G# B E ]. Here are some others E7th [ E G# B D E G# B E ] OR C6th [G A C E G A C E ] E9th [ E G# B D F# G# B E ]
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Liam Rogers wrote: I wonder, what variety of C6 would be easiest for a G tuning dobroist to adapt to?
Low to high - ACEGaceg. Keeps the major triad portions same intervals as trad. dobro G tuning.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

A6 would be a good tuning to get started with. The lower range of the tuning might be a little more comfortable for you to reconcile and also the fact that you are only 1 whole step above G.

E
C#
A
F#
E
C#
A
F#

The good thing about this and the C6 tuning Chris spelled out is that they are symmetrical--2 pairs of 4 strings tuned the same.
Liam Rogers

Post by Liam Rogers »

Thanks for the help.

It would be a shame though if I ended up approaching it too much in a dobro manner. That's not what I am aiming for really.

I will certainly not dismiss any options though.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Liam Rogers wrote:Thanks for the help.

It would be a shame though if I ended up approaching it too much in a dobro manner. That's not what I am aiming for really.

I will certainly not dismiss any options though.
If you use a 6th tuning, you will not be approaching it like you approach dobro. Entirely different flavor, even if most of the string intervals are the same. Having familiar intervals will help you out of the gate, but that 6th changes everything.