Hank Penny

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Gurley

Hank Penny

Post by Larry Gurley »

Did anyone on the forum ever pick with Hank Penny ?
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Most of the Steelers who picked with Hank on any regular basis have followed him to "Hilbhilly Heaven".
I filled in a couple of times with Hank and played on some shows where he was part of the Headliners.
Hank changed his Band and Musicians quite often and IMHO never came up with a unique style. There is a great artilcle about the Steel Players that played with him in one of Tom Bradshaw's Steel Guitar Magaines. I think "Bob" stll has some of the magazines for sale. Probably Hank's greatest hit, which I believe he wrote, was "Won't You Ride In My Little Red Wagon:. This has become a Standard for Western Swing Bands.
'
Al Udeen

Chalker Sighting!

Post by Al Udeen »

In 1961 Terry Bethel,Jimmy Colvard,& Myself, saw Hank Penny & Sue Thompson play a grand opening at a new shopping center, called Southdale, in a suburb of Minneapolis! Curly Chalker was playing steel! Curly was playing a Fender 1000 through 2 Fender bassman amps!
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

I did a few gigs with him in the mid-80s. One was for Tex Williams birthday party, Aug '85, just a few weeks before he passed away.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Hi Larry, I have not heard from you for awhile. I played a talent contest one time where Hand was the MC. I know, that does not count.
Larry Gurley

Spade Cooley

Post by Larry Gurley »

Spade Cooley and Hank did some great comedy together. Sure would like to get copies. They were great together. FYI, Hank's daughter, Sydney was in Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood, and several other movies. He spent his last years promoting her.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Back in the early 2000's I played at a party remembering Hank Penny's Birthday. This was put on by his Widow (can't remember her name} and his ex-wife Sue Thompson. Evidently this was something they collectively did every year. Danny Michaels had asked myself and Al Vescovo to be in a pick up Band for the occasion. It was very festive and up-beat remembering old Hank. As I remember, Eddie Dean, Doy O'Dell and Red Rhodes Widow was there. I don't know if this tradition is still going on or not !
Larry Gurley

Hank Penny

Post by Larry Gurley »

i just contacted shari penny, hanks wife. she has a web site hank. hank penny.net. lots of good info
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Billy Tonnesen wrote:Eddie Dean!
I sure wish I'd met Eddie. Never heard of him until a decade ago, but he seems like a great guy, and what a talent! RIP.
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

WOW..There are a lot of photo's of days gone by in there. Take a look here >

http://www.hankpenny.net/index.htm

Then click on photos to see them all.
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.