Been away awhile, but here are some new builds...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Harrison Withers

Been away awhile, but here are some new builds...

Post by Harrison Withers »

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while but I just finished a couple lap guitars I'm proud of and I thought I'd share.

These are homemade instruments that look homemade!

I've built a couple of these guitars I call Ghettoborns. They are built like danelectros with masonite top and back over a hollow pine frame. This one is a "rat rod" theme and was pinstriped by my tattoo artist friend Lonnie Pease. the humbucker is made by Elmar Klangbox out of Austria, the bridge which is ironwood saddle over ebony and bloodwood,was made by Randy Bretz of Mojoboneworks. The fretboard is made of Paduak and has fret lines burned on.

The second guitar is a squareneck resonator I call blondie. Bookmatched ambrosia maple top. Curly maple sides and fretboard. Old reclaimed maple back. Brown ebony bridge with zircote saddle by Randy Bretz. Polished, rear mounted 9" lowe cone by Old Lowe. Hand-wound, rosewood topped 6 pole down under pickup by Ted Crocker.

Enjoy!

Harrison
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Cool stuff Harrison!

I recently did a metalbody reso with pinstriping and plan to do more. It's a great look.
Last edited by Mike D on 15 Aug 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Very cool builds!
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

I've built a couple of these guitars I call Ghettoborns. They are built like danelectros with masonite top and back over a hollow pine frame.
Cool steels 8) ... I've contemplated doing a baritone scale Daneolectric style steel for some time now.
Harrison Withers

Post by Harrison Withers »

Thanks guys!

Tom, I like your builds too ;)

Here are a couple vids of these guitars:

ghettoborn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Q55yU-7rY

squareneck reso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUqDDl0sfc