Fender Deluxe Eight

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeremy Steele

Fender Deluxe Eight

Post by Jeremy Steele »

I was amazed to see a Deluxe 8 just like mine sell for for more than 2 grand on eBay...I had no idea they had increased in value so much....I guess the pristine condition had something to do with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Lap-Steel-Ha ... 4cf8cd9f3b
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Actually, that ebay sale was posted here - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=208979

I wonder if a forum member bought it => forum donation.
Ralph Czitrom

Fender Deluxe Eight

Post by Ralph Czitrom »

Jeremy - Somebody got a nice looking guitar, but I think they got caught up in a bidding frenzy. That guitar has a CBS warranty, so it's post-1964, although the seller's posting said it was manufactured "between 1950-69". Earlier this year I purchased a 1954 or '55 Deluxe Eight (#000324). It's in very good condition (just a couple of dings)and I bought it for $1,100. If you look at the bidding history on this one, the high bidder on Wednesday was $1,000 and a day later, it sold for $2025. Go figure.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

When I clicked on the completed auction, I took a double take!!!!! I wonder how many watchers it had?

ron
Hugh Holstein

Post by Hugh Holstein »

That one is definitely poly, so it's a 68 or later.

I have one that's got the older logo name plate, and is lacquer, with a date of 4-67.

My Deluxe 6 has the later logo (like that one), and is poly, cant remember the date but I'm almost certain it's a 68.

It's weird, the old poly they used back then really yellows, the blond almost turns into a "TV Yellow".
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

It costs money when getting caught up in a bidding contest ! :D For 2 grand it should have been a T-8 ! :D
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

That triple sold for $800.

ron
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Cartwright Thompson wrote:How about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Fender-Stringm ... 2a1256ff1a
?!
It sold for $3,250 plus $40.10 shipping.
Ben Elder

Not corrrodded or rustty

Post by Ben Elder »

No wonder--the metal parts are shinny.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

Watch to see if it comes up for auction again....I have seen some auctions be driven up by an inside bidder only to have the insider win and have it posted again a week or so later. If you watch some of these ebay guys for awhile you can see that happen now and then.
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Eric Dunst

Post by Eric Dunst »

That one is definitely poly, so it's a 68 or later.

I have one that's got the older logo name plate, and is lacquer, with a date of 4-67.

My Deluxe 6 has the later logo (like that one), and is poly, cant remember the date but I'm almost certain it's a 68.

It's weird, the old poly they used back then really yellows, the blond almost turns into a "TV Yellow".
I'm not an expert, but I disagree here. I have a Deluxe 8 dated 12/62 and an earlier '59/'60 Champ which has the same "Spaghetti" logo.

The seller said it was found as part of her grandmother's music store inventory, so it could simply be "that" clean. Nitrocellulose lacquer only yellows if it's exposed to UV light; and, not all instruments had clear lacquer topcoats. Actually, not all Fenders finishes were nitro, some were acrylic (different from the later poly) which did not yellow in the same way. Also, I don't think the pictures are detailed enough to show the texture of the finish.

Further clues suggest that it's from 1966: the logo on the case and the CBS warranty both place it after '65 (the sale to CBS) and before '67 (logo with tail). So that's my steel guitar CSI moment. this is a really goud resource for dating fenders: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#cases
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

On the other hand, Gruhns has their D-8s at around 2500.00 so, what do I know?
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Hugh Holstein

Post by Hugh Holstein »

Neither of those logos I speak of are "spaghetti" logos.
Both my 67's cases have no tail on the logo either.
Of course the only way to be sure of the date is the pencil date, which on my 67's they were NOT in the tuner pan pocket on the Deluxe models, it is on the pickup bobbins.
Dennis Burling

Post by Dennis Burling »

Can you still get parts for the vintage Fenders? Is there anything problematic on the old Fenders?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

No, you can't get old parts easily. The only problematic part might be the tuners, if they haven't been maintained.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars