No More Steel on Roy Clark Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bob Hempker

No More Steel on Roy Clark Show

Post by Bob Hempker »

I was told today by RC's bandleader that as of 1/1/05, Roy would no longer be carrying steel guitar on the road. I not only hate it for myself, but I hate to see steel players being shelved. Seems funny, because they are keeping 2 fiddles and 2 keyboard players. Shows you how unimportant steel guitar is nowdays to people. Roy claims he loves steel guitar. It doesn't seem like it to me. Image Image

------------------
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Bob, This is bad news for country music and the steel guitar. When I am not working, I will not go to a venue that does not have a steel guitar player. Hopefully, everyone else will do the same which hopefully would correct the situation,.Jody.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

<SMALL>I was told today by RC's bandleader...</SMALL>
I don't believe that this was his decision. I believe this came from "the man" himself,who claims to "love steel guitar"! He didn't just walk up to Roy & say,"Roy,I'm gonna dump the steel. Whaddya think?" And even if he did,I don't think Roy would've said,"Well,you're the bandleader. Do what you want". This was a "top-shelf" decision.
Image Image Image Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Its wrong Bob. I also will not support any country act or venue that does not have steel guitar, and I always let them know. Its a primary instrument in country music. The keybord is further down in the list after fiddle and acoustic guitar.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

So sorry to hear about this,Bob. A real guy would have had the guts to tell you himself after all the years you have been with him. I guess it goes to show you,loyalty doesn't mean squat in this business. I guess I'll add Roy's name to my list of artists without backbones. I agree with Smiley. Maybe this is a good reason to come back to Nashville. ImageIf you had worked for Hank Snow or Stonewall you would have gotten a pink slip in the mail. ImageYour too good a player to be out of work for very long. If I was you I would find something before the end of the year. The last 4 months won't be fun.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

That's a shame! We are talking about all the xposure that steel gets from articles in Guitar Player Magazine, RR and all that - but it looks like that's real life. Image

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Sorry to hear the news Bob, for more than one reason. Good grief !!! Think how very much Hal and you contributed to the success of "LL" and I know there were some very trying times in the process. You'll find a better job wait and see. Bill.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

It is plain amd simple to me. If they cannot carry a steel player then I cannot and will not see their concert. I never was a big Roy Clark fan to begin with but now I surely am not.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Sorry to hear this, Bob.
Roy's show will be added to my list of "Steel-Less Bands" to avoid.

While cut-backs are never good news, I have to mention that giving you four months notice shows great respect. That's unheard of in any business. Musicians usually get four months less than that.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Another door will open.

How long have you been with the show?
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

No steel ? No appeal !!

------------------
"I Can Only Imagine" Mercy Me

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I am sorry to hear your news Bob.
Last time you posted you mentioned that
Roy was planning a new Gospel CD and
wanted you to play Dobro (No steel?). Was that completed?
All the best

Roy T.
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

This may sound a little crazy but-Has any musician ever filed a Discrimination suit against any Band,Record co etc. Maybe it is time for a "Class Action" suit by Steel players for being deleted. Just think- the publicity alone would bring attention to Steelers. Maybe Garagos would take it on a pro bono action. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Sorry to hear about it, Bob. Maybe your next job will be better. "Another door opens...."
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Hey guys, I really appreciate your concern. It means a lot. Many of you, whom I've never even met seem to be more real friends and comrades than other supposedly "friends" I've worked with down through the years. Earl and Smiley, thanks again, and I totally agree with you about where all this comes from. I don't hold any anymosity towards anyone, but when are these "stars" going to realize that loyalty is a 2 way street! Seems almost appropriate also, in the fact that it was exactly a year to the day that Jimmy and James Henley were fired from the group after 28 years. They also got told by the bandleader, and were never faced by the "man." I know what you mean also by not supporting acts that don't carry steel guitar.: One time when I was with Loretta, we did a benefit in Texas for something which I don' even remember. Anyway, the Oak Ridge Boys gave us all jackets with theri names on them. I gave mine back, because I told them I wouldn't wear it. When asked why, I told them because they don't use steel guitar in their group. Maybe that's radical, but I can't help it, that's the way I feel. Thanks, again, guys.

------------------
pdl20

Post by pdl20 »

Well i guess Mr Clarks Show won't be seen by me .Sorry Bob But you shouldnt have to be out long .you play your Butt off. May good luck find you my friend Rudy
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Every show I ever attended in Branson, I asked the ticket sellers if there was a steel guitar in the band before purchasing tickets. If no steel I would not buy a ticket. Bob, I hope you can find a better playing job real soon. My only complaint when I attended the Roy Clark show was that he didn't let you play enough, too much lead guitar by Roy.
Jerry
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Here's a link: http://www.roy-clark.com/

You can email Roy from there, or join the fan club Image .
Bob Miano
Location: Bergenfield, N.J. (home of "some" country music) - deceased

Post by Bob Miano »

Well, don't know if it will make a difference, but I just emailed Roy Clark
asking him to get involved and keep the
steel as part of his show.
Maybe if he hears it from enough people,
well,... you get the point !
Go to his website and email him.....
it can't hurt.

Bob Miano
Bergenfield, NJ
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

E.A. syndrome. Old and GREEDY.

Jennings

Play steel for the sound of it.

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I don't know guys.
I think it might be just the opposite.
I've been a big Roy fan since I was a little kid, and have seen him several times.
I saw him with Bob on steel at least twice.
In my observation of Roys music, it never had much if any steel in the first place, and it was always about Roys virtuosity.
As I recall, Roy verbally acknowledged the steel man and showcased the steel at least once during the show.
I would think Roy went out of his way to employ a steel man for as long as he could.
It's no secret that the steel is always the first to go, so no big surprise there, except that he let the Henleys go before the steel (I'm surpised by that), so the steel wasn't even the first thing to go in this case (maybe he does like steel?!).
I'm sorry you lost your gig, but I've never know of a band that didn't break up or reform or downsize at some point.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Bob,
Sorry about the gig. I know change is not always what we want, but I always like to think there is a better way in store when this sort of thing happens, especially to steel players.
Keep in touch and keep us posted.
Your friend,
T.W.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I just sent an email to Roy disagreeing with this decision regardless of who made it. I advised him I do not go to concerts where there is no steel player and for him to take a look at this forum and read the comments. Just another blow for the steel guitarist in these days of not so country music.I would bet if the truth was known this decision is all about the dollar bill.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Bob, I am sorry to hear about the Roy Clark show letting you go. You are a world class player and it is definately they're loss. I hope the next gig you get is better money and better music. Good Luck!
Herby Wallace

Post by Herby Wallace »

Dear Bob,

Sorry to hear this, but nothing shocks me anymore about the music business. I worked on the road for around 12 years in the sixties and seventies and every country music artist I worked for back then would always hire a steel guitar player as one of the most important instruments in the band. Many artists I worked for back then only carried 4 pieces and steel was always one of the the 4 musicians. As many of you have heard me complain about this in the past, I am in the same position here in the Pigeon Forge area. There are 6 steel players working in the area, but 3 of them are utility players and only work because they play other instruments. I have auditioned for some of these jobs and couldn't get them because I didn't play other instruments. I think what shocks me the most about a situation like Bob's is that being a good player doesn't seem to matter anymore and also steel isn't that important anymore. I can't begin to tell you how many times if a new show comes to the area and I call to check on it, when I tell them I play steel guitar, the first question is: what else do you play? Anyhow, I'll shut up for now, but good luck Bob in finding something else as I know exactly how you feel.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Well, Bob, that just sucks. I do have to agree that it's probably the money guys making the decision. They, as a rule, don't know anything about loyalty or about what 'should' be there. Of course at this point, you probably have Roy's number. Give him a friendly call to see what happened. It couldn't hurt.

Something will come along. I remember years back I wondered where you'd work after playing with Loretta for so long. But something came along for you. I hope it does again.

------------------
My best,
Ernie
www.buddyemmons.com