Clearwater Laps from the UK?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Martin Nicholes

Clearwater Laps from the UK?

Post by Martin Nicholes »

Anyone in the US bought one? Wondering what the shipping was. The seller requires a winning bid before they will quote shipping to the US. They say you can cancel if shipping is too high. I would rather not get that far to find out.

I have a weakness for inexpensive "eye candy". And a pair soapbar P90's sitting on a flame maple top, is eye candy to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

Well Martin I can relate, eye candy some times is not all that it appeared to be at a closer look. I agree that the shipping should be stated. You may not want to place a bid if this figure is disclosed up front. After all it is part of the total cost of the insterment. Personally that particular design would not interest me. I would prefer to purchase local [state side] I have no idea what you are planning to spend, but you can buy new from a number of builders just across the border from you in fact you could probably pick it up if you wanted to make a short weekend trip. Finally, I noticed it only had 23 frets, not even two octives, most come with an octive and a half and some with three octives, it depends on the pickup.

The above is the openion of the writer. and not the Forum as a whole.

Wayne D. Clark
Melbert 8/counsol
C6th High "G"
Goodrich Pedal
Peavey 112
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Martin, i sold a couple of those here to some newbies
they're ok bang for $ if you're here in Europa
since you're in the USA, look up George Piburn from Georgeboards, he'll whoop you up a real nice model & deal
for example at 350 $

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=196124

Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I agree, It's a beautiful guitar and with those P-90's it should sound wonderful but the over seas shipping is what would scare me off. For the same money state side is your best bet.
Martin Nicholes

I would like to stay under $400, and have been considering a Melbert, since his shop is about 4 hours West of my home. That GB looks real nice, though.

My GAS was bad in the '80's, before the internet, it is getting out of control now, and being on a limited retirement income, I have to stick to the under $400 stuff, or else get a "Welcome to Wally World" job.

So much to choose from nowadays, and only so much room left on my walls, under my bed, and in my closet.
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

Martin, Wayne here again, I Got a great deal from Melbert Steel guitars, I am sure if you contact Allen he can fit you in to something of your liking for you price range. Here is his "E" address [melbertsteels@gmail.com] also if you Google "Allen Melbert guitars" it will bring up Allen Melbert, "Music on the mountian". and his site, He has a number of models on display. Enjoy the experience.

Wayne D.Clark
Melbert 8/counsol
C6th High "G"
Goodrich Pedal
Peavey 112
Martin Nicholes

I've emailed him, but doing a web search, the only GB lap I could find under $1k was a toilet seat model for $695.

[quote="CrowBear Schmitt"]since you're in the USA, look up George Piburn from Georgeboards, he'll whoop you up a real nice model & deal
for example at 350 $
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Martin.......here's the thread on GB's P90 lap steels:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Kelvin Monaghan

Post by Kelvin Monaghan »

Martin stick with Mr George Boards he will sort you out,great guy great products.

He sorted me out with a similar one in White with noiseless Lindy Fralin p90s real killer.
Shipped to Australia for me.

Cheers Kelvin