Who played steel for:

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Kuziak

Who played steel for:

Post by Mark Kuziak »

Frenchie Burke on his classic song 'Big Mamou'? I was told at one time it was a fellow by the name of Dale Springfield and he was only about 16 at the time of the recording. Is any of that info correct. Anyone know what this player is upto now? Thanks.
Bobby Bowman

steel player

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Mark,
It was Robby Springfield. The rest is close to correct.
He lives in Arkansaw now and stays pretty busy playin' gigs.
BB
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com
Mark Kuziak

Post by Mark Kuziak »

Thanks for the info Bobby. I'm new to the Forum and I think I'm going to like this!!!!
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Mark. Robby is still a phenominal player. Still plays those fast licks "clean as as a whistle". Jody.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

I'd also like to add that Robby is not limited to pedal steel but is also a monster on lead {as evidence by his position as staff player at the ACM awards show} and is a heckuva bass man . Y'all help me here {Jody and Bobby} but I think Randy Corner was also on that session....it's something in the water down there. Viola , Ar is where they are and Robby is active in studio work there .
Mark Kuziak

Post by Mark Kuziak »

Thanks alot for the info you guys. I remember being blown away when I first heard this song years ago and then find out how young he was. This Forum for steel players is fantastic. I've had questions about different things for years, but sometimes had trouble finding answers. Thanks again.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Larry, Randy was on that session. Donnie King on bass . Can't remember the other guys. Jody.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Thanks Jody....I knew that you and Bowman would have that answer . Randy Corner had an awesome song "Sometimes I Talk In My Sleep" written by Eddie Futch , better known as Eddy Raven . Nonetheless , a great song with wonderful a chord progression.