Jim Murray, Steel Player?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Allan Jirik

Jim Murray, Steel Player?

Post by Allan Jirik »

In 1974 I was playing my regular gig at a joint on South Washington St. in Lansing, MI. At the break an older fellow approached me and said his name was Jim Murray and told me that he was also a steel picker. He was well dressed, articulate and had an aura about him that said "class." We went outside to his Lincoln and he popped open the glove box and produced a pint of whiskey (perfectly acceptable in those days) and we shared a drink or two while he regaled me with stories of his steel guitar days. He said he played with Eddie Arnold "on television."

That's all I remember about Jim Murray. Was I "greened" or was he telling the truth. Anybody heard of this guy? At any rate, I enjoyed his whiskey.
Chuck Rich

Jimmy Murrah

Post by Chuck Rich »

Hi Allen, The fellow you describe as Jim Murray, I think is Jimmy Murrah. I first met him in Detroit around 1956. He was a super player. At that time he was playing a triple neck Fender, and was very fast at single string things. I was working with Casey Clark at the time and would go hear him at various clubs in Detroit. He also worked for Casey for a very short time. He then worked in the Lansing area for quite awhile. I went to see him in Lansing once and he was playing guitar and steel, and playing a lot of Four Freshman stuff. I moved to the Cincinnati area and around 1974 he stopped to see me on his way to Florida and he was driving a big Lincoln and that is the last time I talked to him. As far as him working with Eddie Arnold, I don't remember that, but he could have as he was that good. Hopes this helps.
Chuck Rich
Jack Klein

Chuck

Post by Jack Klein »

Chuck, did you study at the Honolulu Conservatory Of Music in Flint around 1950 with Russ Waters? your name sounds familiar. Jack
Chuck Rich

Russ Waters

Post by Chuck Rich »

Hi Jack, I did take lessons from Russ Waters in the early 50's. He was a very good teacher and had over 200 students at one time. Some others you might remember from that time was Chuck Adams, Jim Baker, Terry Bethel and Don Rauch. Terry, Don and I have kept in touch all these years. Terry has been the steel player with Mel Tillis for many years. Were you a student of Russ's at that time?
Chuck Rich
Larry Dahl

Post by Larry Dahl »

In the mid to late 70's he was working in the Orlando, FL clubs with Big Dan Starr. I later wound up with Dan, myself.
Jack Klein

Russ Waters

Post by Jack Klein »

no, Chuck, I was just an admirer in the shadows but your name rang a bell. I remember Smilin Max Henderson playing ona hay wagon downtown Flint and Russ was on steel then. good ole days. Jack