Oklahoma Stomp-----The Brazos Valley Boys

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Shackelton

Oklahoma Stomp-----The Brazos Valley Boys

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Here's a tune from Hank Thompson's album, "Hank Thompson Salutes Oklahoma" IMHO! it's one of Hank's best albums. The steel player may be Bobby Garrett or Bert Rivera. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sNDQ4a ... re=related
Bill Maynard

Oklahoma Stomp

Post by Bill Maynard »

Great song and great band doing it. It sounded like Curly Chalker playing the steel and some of those guitar licks sounded alot like Leon Rhodes but I never knew him to be connected to the Brazos Valley Boys Band. I liked everything Hank Thompson's Brazos Valley Boys put out on record. He was way ahead of his time and always did everything to perfection.....
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Bobby Garrett was with Hank about this era, but doesn't really sound like Bobby. Roy Clark sometimes recorded with Hank. Jody.
Thomas Cross

Harp

Post by Thomas Cross »

When did Hank Thompson use a harp? I don't recall him using a Harp on any of his records. tfc
Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

Another good H.T. clip here with Doug on steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMaJAuK ... re=related
Roger Shackelton

Hank Thompson used a Harp on "Oklahoma Stomp" to copy the 1940s version of this tune by Spade Cooley.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Spade's Harp player was named Spike Feathcerstone. He also played Flute. When Spade and Tex Williams broke up, Spike went with Tex. He is on Tex's recording of "Artistry in Western Swing ". Their version of Stan Kenton's "Artistry in Rythm".
Rune Alm

Hank Thompson record, w. Dusty Stewart on lap steel

Post by Rune Alm »

Hi,
I want to share my favourite Hank Thompson record with you, in case you don't already know it. It's the one called

"Sounds of the Brazos Valley, Unissued Radio Broadcasts c1952" (RFDCD19 on the Country Routes label)

I don't think I have ever heard anything like it. Amazing lap steel performance by Ralph "Dusty" Stewart (playing today in The River Road Boys). I read somewhere on this forum that he only played with Hank Thompson for 1 year.

Enjoy! :)

Note: Somehow it's cheaper to buy this from american Amazon than the UK-Amazon.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

I wonder who played in Hank's Band the longest ? I knew several guys who went on his band, but indicated they left because of what he paid ! Take this as hearsay, anyone know any differen't ?
Roger Shackelton

Bob White told me one time that he worked for Hank from 1953 until 1960 or 1961.
For all those years each band member was paid $115. per week.

ROGER