Who played steel on Best Little Whorehouse movie soundtrack

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

Who played steel on Best Little Whorehouse movie soundtrack

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Just watched it and am curious. :D Couldn't find credits anywhere.
Thanks
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Dave, here's all the credits I could find at allmusic.com. You might recognize a steel player's name in there, I didn't.

Clint Allmon
Pamela Blair
Peter Blue
Mike Bradley Engineer
Ben Brogdon
Lisa Brown
Gerry Burkhardt
Jay Bursky
Tom Cashin
Carol Chambers
Craig Chambers
Don Crabtree
Mickey Crofford Engineer
Dom DeLuise Performer
Charles Durning Performer
Joan Ellis
Henderson Forsythe
Lynn Frazier
Jay Garner
Becky Gelke
Carlin Glynn
Carol Hall Composer, Lyricist
Delores Hall
Jack Hayes Orchestration
Michael Holleman
Bradley Clayton King
Donna King
J. Frank Lucas
Susan Mansur
Jan Merchant
Teresa Merritt Performer
Edna Milton
Jim Nabors Narrator, Performer
George Osaki Art Direction
Candy Parton Performer
Dolly Parton Performer
Gregg Perry Orchestration, Producer
Louise Quick-Bowen
Ernie Reed
Burt Reynolds Performer
James Rich
The Rio Grande Band
Herb Ritts Photography
Marta Sanders
Mike Scott
Paul Ukena, Jr.
Ernie Winfrey Engineer
Jerry Yoder
Debra Zalkind

Yep, Marty is right.
http://www.ibdb.com/person.php?id=79250
Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 30 Jan 2011 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marty Muse

Post by Marty Muse »

That would be Austin, TX's own Lynn Frazier. He played on the soundtrack and played the show on Broadway. Great steel player!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I did that show in London in '81 when it came to the West End. We had the two leads from the Broadway show (Carlin Glynne and Henderson Forsythe) as well as the US production team.

Trouble is, we didn't have Lynn Frazier - just me! I did my best but didn't come close, so had to figure out my own way to play it. Wonderful playing from Lynn and each time I get to do the show again I'll refer to that soundtrack CD for a reminder of how high he set the bar.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks guys. :)
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Russell Powell

Post by Russell Powell »

A little off topic: but I saw BLWIT on Broadway and Harvey Shapiro (now Harvey Sharp) had taken over on steel and he was fantastic.
During the overture, in his solo, he broke with what he normally played and stuck in a bunch of BE licks and looked up and smiled at my wife and I (he knew where we were sitting)-pretty funny
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Josh Dubin played the Broadway show after Lyn,Then Harvey. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

A little off topic: but I saw BLWIT on Broadway and Harvey Shapiro (now Harvey Sharp) had taken over on steel and he was fantastic.
No worries about going off topic.:)

And to go even further off topic:

The reason I even rented that movie was to study Burt Reynolds. A theater company I work with is doing the Tammy Wynette Story "Stand By Your Man" and even though I have no interest in acting I was.....um....volunteered by the director to play the part of Burt Reynolds in the play, as well as play the pedal steel and guitar. :whoa: Wish me luck. :oops:

The wife also brought home Boogie Nights! :eek: I studied that one real close too.......... :wink:

Tonight is The Longest Yard. Good thing I'm home sick on the couch this weekend. :roll:
Dave Zirbel-
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I played my big red Sho-Bud on some of the production numbers in the movie version with Dollly Parton and Burt Reynolds. We did those at Record Plant in L.A. before the movie was shot. I seem to remember that the leader on at least some of these was a guy who came out from Nashville and I think he was Dolly Parton's band leader. In post production I played some underscoring sessions at Warners 1 with a full orchestra, and Pat Williams composing/conducting.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Nice job Earnest. The wife liked your playing too.
Dave Zirbel-
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Dave Zirbel wrote:Nice job Earnest. The wife liked your playing too.
Thanks Dave but it was probably somebody else playing the stuff your wife liked.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

I don't remember anything about that movie except mega Dolly standing in the door way, and in not much else. That was a good movie.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I don't remember anything about that movie except mega Dolly standing in the door way, and in not much else.
Wait, you mean to tell me there was steel guitar in that movie..... :lol: :lol:
Dave Zirbel-
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Hey Dave,
Check out 'W.W. and the Dixie Dance Kings' for some more cool Burt Reynolds stuff.

Also I think Harvey Shapiro (Sharp) played steel on the first few Steve Forbert albums.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Ed Iarusso

Post by Ed Iarusso »

I've got a recording (album) of the Rio Grande Band with Doug Jernigan as the steel player.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I just remembered Wayne Addleman who plays with Trace Atkins played on some of the Record Plant tracks.He is also a reader as is Ernest!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Franklin Lehlbach

Post by Franklin Lehlbach »

Lynn Frazier rocks!!
Michael Tyne

Post by Michael Tyne »

Lynn Frazier is a truely great player and he is in the band photo on the Album. There you go all these years I thought it was Curley Chalker that did the soundtrack.I noticed someone using a digital delay one of the live New York shows which sounded great.