Any modern luthiers making a Stringmaster replica ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mitch Crane

Any modern luthiers making a Stringmaster replica ?

Post by Mitch Crane »

Any modern replicas of the Fender Stringmaster or Deluxe 6/8 ? Just curious if anyone has attempted it or not ?
Neil Cameron

Post by Neil Cameron »

http://www.tradewindsteelguitars.com/products.htm

Tradewind Steel Guitars may have what you are looking for, forum search reveals this thread in 2009.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... =tradewind

Hope these links help, I recall these are the guitars which have been mentioned before in answer to similar questions.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Mitch:

You should definitely check out John Allison's steel guitars:

http://www.allisonguitars.com/pages/steel_guitars.html

John, who posts here regularly, is a fine luthier and plays around the Austin area with his swing group. A working steeler who builds a great instrument...can't do much better than that.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ricky Davis was building a guitar a while back that resembled a Stringmaster.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I think Ricky just built the one that I know of. The "Tradewinds" and "Canopus" are about the closest to a Stringmaster that I've seen.

Here's the Tradewinds guitar.

and here's the Canopus guitar.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

That Tradewind D-8 is a very close copy of a 1960s Guyatone (which was a Japanese copy of a Stringmaster)... the bridge plate, the tuners, the fretboard. At first I though I was looking at my old Guyatone!
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Thanks for the mention, Geoff...
My steels aren't copies or repros of anything, but I've tried to incorporate as much of the basic playability and sound of the old Stringmasters as possible with a different (and I hope unique and interesting) design aesthetic.
John Allison
Allison Stringed Instruments
Austin, Texas
www.allisonguitars.com
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

John Allison wrote:Thanks for the mention, Geoff...
My steels aren't copies or repros of anything, but I've tried to incorporate as much of the basic playability and sound of the old Stringmasters as possible with a different (and I hope unique and interesting) design aesthetic.
Yep! We don't need no repros...
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I'm a big fan of John Allison's steels also. They have a real Stringmaster quality to them while being there own instrument.
Bob
Gene Warner

Post by Gene Warner »

I found when shopping for a steel recently, that all the decent modern steels that would be comparable, like the Remingtons, George Boards etc., cost more than a real vintage steel. I purchased a real clean double 8, "56 Stringmaster for a little over a grand, and I love it. It's the real deal, and I'm one guy that definitely lives in the past!
Gene Warner
repairman
Ben Sims

Post by Ben Sims »

The Lap King Bel Aire doesn't look like a Stringmaster, but it is available with the same pickup configuration, with 6 or 8 strings.
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

Gene Warner wrote:all the decent modern steels that would be comparable, like the Remingtons, George Boards etc., cost more than a real vintage steel.
That is my thought exactly, how much do clean old stringmasters and deluxes go for these days anyway?
Gene Warner

Post by Gene Warner »

Depending on whether or not you want a top condition specimen, or might be willing to buy a fixer-upper, if you're patient, you will find them from $700.00 up to about $1300.00. Ebay almost always has one to three up for auction. Sometimes they are asking too much, and don't get a bid at all.

Don't forget the old Nationals, as they weren't bad instruments either. Before buying, do your homework about scale lengths. The longer necked instruments had more sustain, while the shorter scale examples made bar slants easier. It's all about personal tastes.
Gene Warner
repairman
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

You may also want to compare the price of a used, rather than new, modern instrument, to an older one. At the same time, figure the probability of repairs on a vintage Deluxe, Stringmaster, etc. to a newer one. Finding original or appropriate substitute parts for a vintage instrument can take time and money. The forum has plenty of such threads.
On the other hand, I recently purchased an S8 Remington, with legs, on this forum for a good bit less than I think I would have had to pay for a Deluxe and I hope to be repair-free for a long, long time. Only time will tell about that last part.
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

IMO Those Allisons look like instant classics.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Jim Konrad wrote:IMO Those Allisons look like instant classics.
Jim, I just want to say that that may be one of the best things anyone has said about my work. With all my instruments, I try to pay tribute to classic design aesthetics and still come up with something that has a fresh look.
I really do appreciate your comment!
John Allison
Allison Stringed Instruments
Austin, Texas
www.allisonguitars.com