Ricky connection with Melotone

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon King

Ricky connection with Melotone

Post by Jon King »

Hi Friends,
There is a Melotone lap steel listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1156
Apparently modeled after a Ricky B6. But, other than the p'up & maybe bridge assembly, the parts do not appear to be Rickenbacker.
I've only seen a few photos & have some notes/correspondence of these. We have no up close personal knowledge.
I emailed the owner for more specifics & will update when I hear back from him.
But wanted to post this for comment now in case one of you might be interested in it. Or have ?s you'd like forwarded to the owner?
Thanks. Later....
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

What a cool looking piece, John, thanx for posting. What is the body & neck made of? It resembles the crinkle painted aluminum fry-pans and 10 str. Rick necks. Any chance you can post sound samples?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

To clarify, John is not the owner of the instrument. You should contact the seller of the instrument on eBay with those questions.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

For clarification: Brad is right. And Ron, the ?s you asked are included in what I sent to the owner. I'm looking forward to learning more about this instrument & intend to share what I learn here.
BTW: The prior examples I noted had a wood body & neck. And as Ron mentioned, the finish appeared similar to crinkle painted aluminum.
PS: While writing this, I was notified I had messages on another topic. Looks like the owner also chimed in on a previous post. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 8d6fd13fe0