Cloning To A Larger External Hard Drive

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Cass Broadview

Cloning To A Larger External Hard Drive

Post by Cass Broadview »

I keep all my music files, and my student's lesson material on my 250GB external hard drive. I would like to "Clone" copy my 250GB to a new 500GB or even 1T external hard drive. I will be using acronis for this. But the way i understand it, is if i clone my 250GB to the 500GB, it then still only has 250GB of capacity??? Confused here. Help appreciated.
Here is an email i got from Western Digital, that confused me even more??? what is a "partition"? Still not sure how to be able to use the other 250GB's left over on the new 500GB drive.... :(

Dear, Miss Broadview

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Tirso.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

The cloning process makes an exact copy of the source drive to the destination drive. This implies that the partition of the drive being a 250 GB's hard drive is what will be cloned in your case. That means that your 500 GB's drive will still only show 250 GB's partition after the cloning. The remaining space will be unallocated space in your drive. You will need to partition the remaining space after the drive has been cloned in order to be able to use that space. When a smaller drive is cloned into a bigger drive it does not mean that the drive will become smaller, it just means that the partition will be cloned the same as the source drive.

Before you proceed to clone your drive please make sure to do research on the software that you are going to use for cloning.

Sincerely,
Tirso
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

A hard drive can be divided up into any number of partitions, or areas of the hard drive, of any size, as long as the total of all the partitions doesn't exceed the capacity of the hard drive. Why do you want to clone it? Why not just copy it? Much easier, I think. I never partition any of my hard drives, I just create folders to organize my data, because what inevitably happens is down the road you find that some partitions are too small and some are too large.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Well......cal i can't do that. I have all my files in a "KMA" format for my software. I need to use this external on different copies of the software, on different laptops, and PC's. So i must "Rebuild" my data base, for whichever computer i am using. So i can't put it into files, it won't rebuild that way. If it was just data, or songs like just mp3's then fine. But won't work for me trust me. Must be cloned. :(
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Cass Broadview wrote:Well......cal i can't do that. I have all my files in a "KMA" format for my software. I need to use this external on different copies of the software, on different laptops, and PC's. So i must "Rebuild" my data base, for whichever computer i am using. So i can't put it into files, it won't rebuild that way. If it was just data, or songs like just mp3's then fine. But won't work for me trust me. Must be cloned. :(
I'm not clear about this situation. What does KMA stand for?

I assume you have a bunch of files with a KMA extension, like yadayada.kma?

Are you using Correlate software?

Are you using Kodak Memory Albums?

Like Cal, I don't see why you don't just copy the stuff. That's exactly what cloning would do.

Do you want to clone or do you want to use an image? Cloning does NOT use images.

At any rate, the clone or image to the new drive would likely leave the new 500 gig drive with a 250 gig partition and about 250 gigs of UNALLOCATED SPACE. This unallocated space can then be added to the 250 gig partition, giving you close to 500 gigs (actually near 465). So you wouldn't lose any space. Unallocated space is NOT usable. It has to be made part of a partition to become usable.

Not sure, but Acronis MIGHT be smart enough to simply make a single 465 gig partition on the new drive, which I assume is what you would want? If it didn't, you can always expand the partition after you are done--as mentioned in above paragraph.

On the other hand, if you simply copied the stuff, you would make a single partition on the new drive, taking up all 465 gigs, and then copy with the mouse or whatever.

Tell us:

Is the current 250 gig drive all one partition (drive letter, such as E, F, G)?

Or is it split into 2 or more partitions?

Do you want to transfer 100% of the current drive to the new drive--down to the last molecule?
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Mitch Drumm wrote: I'm not clear about this situation. What does KMA stand for?

At any rate, the clone or image to the new drive would likely leave the new 500 gig drive with a 250 gig partition and about 250 gigs of UNALLOCATED SPACE. This unallocated space can then be added to the 250 gig partition, giving you close to 500 gigs (actually near 465).
I'm betting her software uses karaoke files, and since it uses them in a database, the database has to corolate as to WHERE it finds the files to play...Your choice of expanding the partition after cloning is spot on.(IF she has the software to do it with.)
Cass Broadview wrote:Well......cal i can't do that. I have all my files in a "KMA" format for my software. I need to use this external on different copies of the software, on different laptops, and PC's. So i must "Rebuild" my data base, for whichever computer i am using. So i can't put it into files, it won't rebuild that way. If it was just data, or songs like just mp3's then fine. But won't work for me trust me. Must be cloned. :(
Cass, are you saying that you have to rebuild your database everytime you switch machines ? Because if the database is written correctly, copying everything to a partition with the correct name and address (meaning the same place it looks for them NOW)SHOULD work.
(ie: Z:\ProgramFiles\program_name\Database\Files\kma

It would be helpful to know what program you're using .
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Cass;

You can also clone a disk, or add a new hard disk from the Acronis True Image interface, from within Windows. You would first power down, open the case, connect the new (equal or larger capacity) blank disk to signal (Cable Select or Slave for IDE, or SATA 1cconnector) and power plugs, then plug the power back in and reboot into Windows. From there, open the Acronis True Image program and click on Tools and Utilities, then click on Clone Disk.

Choose the Automatic clone option, so that the existing partition(s) will be expanded to fill the entire new blank disk. If the disk being cloned was bootable, so will the new disk be bootable.

After the cloning has completed, you should unplug the power from the wall, then change the jumpers, or plug positions of the old and new disks, so that the new one becomes the C boot drive (IDE Master or SATA Drive 0) and the old drive becomes a (non-booting) slave. Or, unplug the power cable from the old disk. You don't want the two disks fighting for boot priority.

Alternately, you can save the old hard drive for emergency use. Or, delete unwanted Windows installations and make it a storage drive. The Add-Disk feature can help do this; converting the old bootable disk into a non-bootable extended partition.

There are changes that can also be made in the BIOS, to determine which bootable hard drive should come first. Once the boot priority has been sorted out, Windows will know which disk contains the desired boot loader.

If anybody is interested in getting Acronis True Image 2011, here is my affiliate web page, with links to buy it. Right now, there is a 20% off coupon code on that page (Good through Jan 17, 2011). I have 3 copies of a 30% off code for three SGF members to use, up to Dec 31. My web page with the 30% off code will be sent by PM only, to SGF members only.

If you already use Acronis True Image 2010, you can upgrade on the cheap, to version 2011. See my page for the upgrade links.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

For Mitch
Tell us:

Is the current 250 gig drive all one partition (drive letter, such as E, F, G)?

Or is it split into 2 or more partitions?

Do you want to transfer 100% of the current drive to the new drive--down to the last molecule?
Mitch,
yes
No
Yes
And...be able to use the other 250 unallogated space. I must be able to add files to the new hard drive, or why expand.

Stan
.(IF she has the software to do it with.)
Though Acrois would do this?
Cass, are you saying that you have to rebuild your database everytime you switch machines ? Because if the database is written correctly, copying everything to a partition with the correct name and address (meaning the same place it looks for them NOW)SHOULD work.
(ie: Z:\ProgramFiles\program_name\Database\Files\kma
yes, correct, i must "Rebuild" my data base with each computer that has the software on it, or...if i switch to my backup drive.
But wouldn't your way take up all 500GB of room..i want to be able to use the other 250GB. :(

Wiz, i will get back with you on that acronis offer..sounds like that's what i'm gonna have to use. If i am computer wise enough to be able to pull it off. I sure don't want to be forced to redownload all 14,000 of my songs and files, it took four months to do it the first time...YIKES :whoa: :( :(
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Cass:

Given what you say, you apparently have already been in touch with Western Digital.

I assume that is because you have the Western Digital version of Acronis?

That or the Acronis version you can get from Wiz will "clone" your old drive to the new drive---as opposed to imaging it or merely copying with the mouse.

As Wiz said in his reply, it looks like Acronis is bright enough to make a single partition that includes ALL the space on the new 500 gig drive--so you would NOT end up with any "unallocated space".

The end result should be a single partition on the new drive, no unallocated space, and somewhere above 200 gigs of free space on the new drive after the clone is done. Total usable space on the new drive would be about 465 gigs.

I took a brief look at Western Digital's Acronis last night. Looks like you would start with the "clone disk" option from the "tools" menu. Choose "automatic". The next screen will allow you to choose the source disk---in your case you would choose the 250 gig drive.

In the next screen, you choose the destination disk--in your case that would be the new 500 gig drive.

The next screen is about partitioning.

If the destination disk had partitions, the choices would be delete existing partition or keep existing partition.

But since your new drive presumably has NO partitions, I'd guess your choices will be slightly different. You want to make the choice that will make 1 new partition covering the entire drive.

You could partition the new drive BEFORE using Acronis, but I don't see any reason to do that.

Even if Acronis leaves some unallocated space, you should certainly be able to add that unallocated space to the new partition using Windows built-in tools---after you finish with Acronis. I know you can do that with Vista or Windows 7. Not sure about XP---but Acronis should NOT leave unallocated space.

Worst case scenario: you make a single partition on the new drive BEFORE using Acronis, leaving no unallocated space. Then just tell Acronis to "keep existing partitions".

Oh---I'd certainly advise you to at least attempt to back up this data before you attempt to clone it as anything could happen. You say you can't copy it. Does that mean you have no way of backing up this highly valuable database?? Sounds like a recipe for disaster--sooner or later.

Post back here if you remain confused.
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Mitch you're so helpful, you all are dears. It's getting a little more clearer...i think..lol No i don't have "Acronis" at all. I asked western digital how to upgrade one of their external hard drives, that is the reply i posted.

Sounds like you know exactly what i'm trying to accomplish here. I think i'm going to get wiz's coupon offer of 30% off, and go from there. I have three 250GB hard drives, that i use for back up. So yes i have my music, lessons, and files secure. Thank You all. After i get the software, i'll let you know how i make out. Not sure what brand of external "Portable" pocket size hard drive to purchase yet. But i'll read the reviews..suggestions are nice however. Thank You all so very very much.
Cass :)
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Cass, what program are you using? And, do you know how it writes its database files?
Are they in SQL ?

Have you ever thought about trying to install the program itself on the same removable drive with the database and .kma files?
Some programs will run as a standalone, and do not have to be "registered" to the operating system.
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Mike Davidson

Post by Mike Davidson »

To clone means just that. If your source is 250GB so is your destination. If your destination if 500GB then you have 250GB left over when you clone. Most reputable cloning software will prompt you as to how you want to proceed. Exact 250GB clone or take up all disk space. Unless you have a very valid and specialized reason for using partitions it would not be recommended. Partitions will slow down data access (in most cases) and cause premature failure.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Cass,
What is the program that creates the "KMA" files?
What happens when you try to copy the folder that contains all of that program's data to one of your 250 GB drives?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Detailed information for file extension KMA:
Primary association: Correlate
Company: Correlate AS.
File classification: XML
Mime type: application/x-kmap
Other applications associated with file type KMA:
Kodak (Memory Album) by Kodak
Program ID: kmaFile
Video Hoster (Karaoke File) by Micro Technology Unlimited
Video Hoster is a digital music storage solution for hosting VJ, KJ and DJ shows. Import your CDG discs to the hard drive, or convert MP3+G or ZIP files into the built-in database. Compression stores 55,000 songs on a 250GB hard drive.

I assume she is using Karoke KMA files. I don't understand why a straight copy wouldn't work. If the software resides on different computers, and the data file(s) are on a portable drive, the software should be able to find, or be told, where data file is and be able to rebuild or unpack it. I would try that first. You can always reformat the external drive and then try the cloning route. By the way, where do you get the info that cloning was the only way to do this?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

You didn't mention what software you were using, but here is something from MTU about moving the files to another location, as in a different drive, etc... From what I have read, MTU came up with the compression algorithm for the KMA karaoke files. This is for MTU Video Hoster.
Question:
How to move KMA files to a different drive/folder

Answer:

Use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the kma songs from the old drive to new drive. We recommend you place them in a folder, such as E:\Songs to give you more flexibility. Follow these steps to rebuild your Songs Database so Hoster knows where you moved the songs to. These instructions are correct for Hoster 2.104 and higher:

Build Songs Database

Run Hoster
Click the Tools menu, Songs Database command
Click on Rebuild
Click a folder found in the Sound source folders list and click the Delete Folder button (select each entry and do the same to remove all)
Click the Select Folder button, locate the E:\Songs folder (or wherever you store them), and click the Select button
Click the Rebuild Songs Database button to build your new Songs database with the KMA files located on E:\Songs (or your choice) folder.
All Add Track methods in the Playlist will now find the KMA songs stored in the E:\Songs folder.

Change Save to Folder Selection

You may also want to change the folder where you will now import any new KMA songs into. To do this:

Click the Import Tracks menu and either the Import CD Tracks or Import Hard Drive Files command
Click the Save to Folder button (with the black/green field to the right)
Select the folder you want to save new KMA files to. In the case above, select E:\Songs to match where you moved your KMA files.
That's all you need to do.
I would imagine other software would be about the same.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.