Saturday Night At The Texas Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Paul King

Saturday Night At The Texas Show

Post by Paul King »

What a great evening at the Texas show this year. Buddy Emmons was great as usual and done 2 sets with the second being a set with the legendary Johnny Bush. Johnnys voice was clear as a bell and he did a super job. I do not remember everyone who played but Randy Beavers, John Hughey, Ralph Mooney just to name a few. I got to meet three moderators on this forum, Joey Ace, Janice Brooks and the lovely Donna Dodd. I got to speak with Peggy Emmons for a couple of minutes and she is a super lady. Everyone was nice and very cordial I just wish I could have went for the whole Jamboree. I guess there will be next year. The house band did a fantastic job as well. If time passes the way it has been the show will be here next year before we realize it. To all the men and women who worked so hard to put this Jamboree together you have my deepest respect for a job well done.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

What Paul said times ten!! Emmons and Bush got 3 standing ovations!! It was bizzare to hear these two doing Ray Price songs they recorded on together way back in the 1960's, and doing them now in 2004!! Jim Evans kicked it off last night and played some beautiful swing and country. Doug Jernigan needs to hang a fire extinguisher on the side of his steel, as his hot licks were tremendous!! Billy Phelps did some jaw droppin' chops that where awesome, playing with Brian Sklar's band, who are awesome!! Tom Brumley took us back in time and played some of our favorite Buck Owens tunes, then reached around and picked up his lapsteel and mesmorised us with some Jerry Byrd tunes. Tom Morrell and the Time Warp Top Hands played a 12--2 A.M. dance that was incredible!!! They made you FEEL like you were at a 1940's swing dance, and on their turf now, which just happens to be TEXAS!! Tommy Alsup (of the Texas Playboys) played guitar along with Leon Chambers(I think of Texas Playboy fame, too?). Tommy can still make it look easy, and Leon is a swing guitarist' guitarist. I don't remember the names of the rest of the Time Warpers, but there were twin fiddles, a keyboard, drummer with a great voice, a killer bass player, rythme guitar/vocals, and of course Tom Morrell on nonpedal steel and Leon and Tommy on lead guitars. After you heard these fine musicians go at it awhile, the bands name "Time Warp" really sunk in and made perfect sense. What a treasure!! They do Texas and the swing world proud!! >>> I had never ever heard so much swing music in all my life!! I personally thank all the TSGA people who, in my humble opinion, put on an outstanding show!! This was my 1st steel show ever, but not my last if I can help it!! Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by James Morehead on 14 March 2004 at 07:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

I want to try to go to this show next year, but have to plan my band bookings in advance - Do they have a date set for next year?? Or how can I get on a mailing list.
Ron Petersen
1719 Madison st
Tipton Iowa 52772

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band

jackie l harmon

Post by jackie l harmon »

I had a great time this year.The music and people were the best.It was an honor for me to play on the show thursday night.This is something I will never forget.
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

I think the Texas show is scheduled during the second week in March of each year...might want to check the Texas Steel Guitar Association website in a few months....
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

James, I had forgot that Doug Jernigan played Saturday night as well. What an awesome player as well and a first class person too. I saw Jr. Knight for a couple of minutes even though he did not play Saturday night. I told Jr. about him getting me in trouble when I was a teenager. I was watching him play on a Saturday afternoon and all I heard was his steel. My mother walked in the room and said what are you listening to. Her voice was pretty loud from what I remember. The song they were playing was "I Turned Out To Be The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised". The expression on Jr. Knights face was priceless. He is such a tremendous player and quiet a gentleman as well.
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

It's sunday afternoon and I just got home. I agree with everything that's been said. It was one tremendous weekend. Gotta run and go try out my new Peterson VS II strobe tuner. Image Image (that I bought for 30 bucks if my wife reads this) Image Image

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"

Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

<SMALL> I don't remember the names of the rest of the Time Warpers, but there were twin fiddles</SMALL>
That would be Mark Abbott and one of my personal favorites for many years, Bob Boatwright.